4. Perrie

"Where are you going?" I raised an eyebrow as I saw Perrie sneak to the front door. She was in a gorgeous black dress and her blonde hair swooped over one shoulder. It couldn't have been an award ceremony because she would've already told me.

"I'm just going out babe, I'll see you later on tonight." Perrie almost whispered. I could hear the nerves in her barely there voice.

"Out as in work out? Or out as in having fun out?" I smiled.

"Just to meet up with someone..."

What was she up to?

"Who's this someone? Do I know them?"

"What's with the twenty questions Y/N?!" Perrie replied sarcastically.

"Woah, what's got you all in a twist? I'm only taking an interest in what you're doing... jeez... go enjoy yourself, have a good time."

"No, I'm not going now." My best friend threw her bag on the side before walking off.

"Alright... what's your problem? And don't lie to me, because you came down here dressed beautifully, you got all nervous when you told me you were leaving and now you're biting my head off because I just asked you a couple of questions."

"For god sake, I was going to see an ex to sort things out."

"WHAT?!"

"I knew you would react like this... that's why I didn't want to tell you."

"Pez exes are exes for a reason. Please tell me it's not the ex that got into your head and abused you."

Then silence. That was enough to tell me it was.

"I love him Y/N. I can't be apart from him. He called me saying that we need to talk and clear the air and to sort everything out."

"Perrie, I mean this in the nicest way possible but he cheated on you, he left you crying your eyes out and not wanting to leave your bed."

"Things have changed."

"People like that don't change... So what now? You're just going to go running back to him as soon as he clicks his fingers?!" I was getting wound up and annoyed. How could she go back to someone who traumatised her?

"Behave yourself Y/N, it's not like that."

"Then what is it like?" I argued back. Anger had quickly taking over frustration. I could feel my face turning red. I had to clench my fists and put them behind my back to try and step them from shaking.

"It doesn't matter." She moved past me to pick up her bag again. "I'm going to be late." "You just said you wasn't going?"

"Well I've changed my mind. Talk later." Perrie stormed out and slammed the front door behind her.

I hated arguing with my best friend, especially after everything she had done for me. She put a roof over my head when I had nowhere else to stay and gave me a job. But I couldn't just sit there and not try to stop her. I hated seeing her hurt, and I hated it more than normal because I was undeniably in love with her. I wanted to look after her, and treat her how she deserved to be treated. I wanted to be the one who made her happy.

After only five minutes of feeling sorry for myself, I realised it wasn't going to make anything better sat there dwelling. I grabbed my phone off the coffee table and headed to my bedroom. I changed into my pyjamas, and climbed into bed. Surprisingly, I easily drifted off to sleep.

I jumped awake as the front door slammed and I heard Perrie crying her eyes out as she ran up the stairs. Then I heard the bedroom door slam behind her.

I knew the night was going to end this way. I also knew the last person she would want to see right now is me but I couldn't stand knowing she was crying all alone.

I sighed as I got out of bed and made my way to Perrie's bedroom, knocking gently a couple of times.

"Go away Y/N!"

"Pez, I just want to be there for you."

"I said go away."

I wasn't taking no for an answer. I opened her bedroom door and saw her curled up in a ball on her bed. Her tears mixed with her mascara as they ran down her face and stained her cheeks.

"Babe, what happened? I thought-"

"Well we both thought wrong didn't we!" Perrie cut me off hastily.

"Look, I know we argued, but you're my best friend and I just want to know what happened so I can-"

"So that you can say you told me so?" She cut me off again.

"Not at all. You know I'm not like that..."

"Why are you so bothered?"

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Because we're best friends... aren't we?"

"Of course we are. But there's more to it than that. You're always picking up the pieces when things go wrong. And even when I lash out and say nasty things to you, you still stick around."

"Because..." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Because what?"

"Because... I'm in love with you." I said quietly. I looked around the room, not wanting to make eye contact with her. I didn't know how she was going to react. "I can't explain it, I'm just in love with you, and I love every part of you. Always have and always will." I didn't even know I was crying until I felt a tear slip down my cheek. "I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for?" Perrie climbed her way out of bed and found me in the dim lighting. "Come here, don't cry." She wiped my tears with her thumbs gently.

"Well don't you cry either." I chuckled, trying to make light of the awkward situation and sighed with relief when I heard that magical giggle of hers.

"It's a bit hard when there's arseholes on this earth."

I smiled. "I know you don't feel the same way Pez, I know you never will. That's why I never said anything."

"Don't get me wrong, I find you attractive. Everything you do makes my heart do a little jump. But I don't want you to feel like you are being a rebound. I need to fix myself. I'm selfish to ask you and it's going to make me look so bigheaded, but could you... wait... for me?"

"I'd wait forever for you."