The Cold Truth

Prince Daemon entered Daenera's chambers with a heavy heart. He found her sitting by the window, staring out at the Red Keep's courtyard. She turned as he approached, and he could see the worry etched on her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news, my lady," he replied, taking a seat beside her. "Maegor has left King's Landing."

"Left?" Daenera echoed, confusion evident in her voice. "But where did he go?"

"He's gone back to Dragonstone, I suspect," Daemon said, his tone somber.

Daenera's eyes widened in surprise. "He... didn't say goodbye?" she asked in disbelief, her voice trembling slightly.

"I'm afraid not," Daemon confirmed. "He left in the middle of the night, without any explanation."

Daenera stood up, "Without even telling me?"

"I am flying back to Dragonstone today since you have chosen Prince Aemond. There is no need for me here," Daemon said, placing a comforting hand on her arm. "But I promise you, I'll find out what's going on."

Daenera nodded, her expression still troubled. "Thank you, Prince Daemon," she said, turning to face him.

As Daemon left the room, Daenera's brother entered the room urgently.

Cregan paced back and forth in his sister's chambers, his mind racing with the weight of the decision before them. Daenera Stark sat calmly in her chair, watching him with a quizzical look on her face.

"Brother, what is it that troubles you?" she asked, breaking the silence.

Cregan turned to face her, his brow furrowed. "It's this marriage to Aemond. I don't like the idea of it. He's a dangerous man, and I fear for your safety."

Daenera raised an eyebrow. "And who do you propose I marry instead, brother?"

"Maegor," Cregan said, without hesitation. "He's a strong warrior, and he would make a valuable ally for House Stark. Plus, he's known for his fairness and justice. You could do much worse than Maegor."

Daenera considered his words for a moment. "I see your point, but I wish to marry for love and not just duty."

Cregan stopped pacing and turned to face her fully. "You must also consider your own safety. Aemond is reckless, and he has a dragon. Who knows what kind of danger that could put you in?"

"Did you not hear a word I just said?" She asked angrily.

"Listen to me, Daenera. Duty comes before love, and father would agree." He explained.

"That's easy for you to say when you have no idea what it's like to be a woman forced into marriage. You and father couldn't wait to ship me off to whatever lord could give more."

"That's not true."

"Isn't it? Ever since mother died, that's what he raised me for. So I can one day marry a rich old fat lord and birth plenty of children." She said in tears.

"We care about you."

"Oh bullshit." She said, finally standing up for herself. "You want me to marry Maegor because of your friendship with Daemon. The only reason you and Father allowed Aemond to be a part of this decision was so you could make me think that the choice was mine." She said to her brother.

Cregan swallowed nervously. "You know that's not the case."

"That's exactly what it is. I was a problem, and my father couldn't deal with that, so he thought marrying me off would be the best solution. I made my choice so you and Father can either accept that or not."

"You're going to choose him over your own family?" He asked skeptically.

"In the little time I've spent here, Prince Aemond has shown me more love than you and father combined."

Cregan shook his head in disbelief. "If you choose him, Daenera father will disinherit you. You won't be a Stark anymore."

"I will always be a Stark." She said firmly.

Cregan didn't want to say goodbye to his sister, but he placed duty above everything else. "I hope it was worth it." He told her and left her room.

_________

Meanwhile, Saera had loved Aemond for as long as she could remember, and she knew that he was planning to marry Daenera Stark. She couldn't bear the thought of losing him to another woman, especially someone she felt that was not worthy of him.

"Aemond, please listen to me," Saera began, her voice shaking slightly. "I know that you are planning to marry Daenera, I can not bear the thought of losing you to another woman."

Aemond looked at her with a sad expression. "Saera, I know that you have feelings for me, but I can not help how I feel. I love Daenera, and I have made my decision to marry her."

Saera felt her heart break at his words, but she refused to give up. "But Aemond, can't you see that she is not right for you? She is cold and distant, and she doesn't care for anyone but herself. I can give you the love and affection that you deserve."

Aemond sighed heavily. "Saera, I appreciate your feelings, but I can not ignore my own heart. I love Daenera, and I know that she loves me in return. I must follow it, even if it hurts you."

"She is not good enough, Aemond!" Saera cried.

"Yes, she is." He said firmly.

"How long have you known her, hm? What if this is all nothing but a game to her."

"Then she has played it perfectly." He answered.

"I won't let you go."

"You have to."

Saera shook her head and walked away, wiping her tears. She would just have to ruin Daenera's name and prove to him that she was right.