Young Wolf

While Daenera looked over the accounts of Winterfell, Aemond took his two young sons bundled up in furs and cloaks for a walk.

Aenys was wide-eyed with excitement as he looked around at the snow-covered landscape. Daeron clung to his father's leg, unsure of what to make of the white, powdery substance.

"Come on, boys," Aemond said with a grin. "Let's show you how to have some fun in the snow."

He scooped up Daeron into his arms and led the way, Aenys scampering after them. They made their way to a large, open field, where the snow lay untouched and pristine.

"Watch this," Aemond said, setting Daeron down on the ground. He took a few steps back, then ran forward and dived headfirst into the snow, sending up a spray of powdery flakes. He didn't like the snow, but he wanted his son's to experience new things.

Aenys squealed with delight and followed suit, throwing himself into the snow and kicking his legs wildly. Daeron, still a bit uncertain, took a few tentative steps forward, then stopped and looked back at his father.

"Come on, Daeron," Aemond urged. "It's fun, I promise."

With a little coaxing, Daeron took a few more steps forward, then bent down and scooped up a handful of snow. He looked at it curiously, then tossed it into the air. It exploded into a shower of tiny flakes. He liked the cold.

Aemond and Aenys played in the snow, building snowmen and having snowball fights. Aenys proved to be a natural at making snowballs, while Daeron was content to watch and occasionally throw a small handful of snow.

While his father and brother seemed to be distracted, Daeron wondered off deeper into the woods.

He wandered towards the trees at the edge of the field, his tiny footsteps leaving deep tracks in the snow.

As he approached the trees, he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned to look and saw a small, gray wolf pup huddled under a bush. The little pup looked up at Daeron with big, sad eyes.

He felt a pang of sympathy for the lonely little creature. He slowly approached the pup, his hand outstretched. The pup sniffed at his hand, then licked it tentatively.

"Hello," he said softly. "What are you doing out here all alone?"

The pup whined softly, as if in response. Daeron took it as an invitation and scooped up the little wolf, cradling it in his arms. The pup nuzzled against him, as if grateful for the warmth of his body.

"You're all alone, huh?" He asked the little wolf. "Yeah. Me too."

He looked around, wondering what to do. He couldn't leave the little wolf out here in the cold, all by itself, and made up his mind to take the pup back to him.

Aemond quickly ran towards his younger son. "Boy, what are you doing? Don't run off like that." He then looked down at the little wolf pup in his son's arms.

"Can we keep him?" Daeron asked.

Aemond was hesitant, but he took one look into Daeron's eyes and sighed.

"N- Fine."

____________

Daenera marched through the halls of Winterfell with her head held high, her long black hair flowing behind her. She had just received word that her brother had been neglecting his duties as the Lord of Winterfell, and she was furious. She also suspected the same thing once she checked the accounts.

As she approached Cregan's chambers, she could hear the sound of voices inside. Daenera pushed open the door and stormed in, her eyes blazing with anger.

"Cregan Stark," she spat, "how dare you?"

Cregan looked up from the table where he was seated, surprised to see his sister in such a state. "What are you talking about, Daenera?" he asked.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," she replied. "Tell me why you have been so utterly useless. The people of Winterfell look to you for guidance and protection, and you have done nothing to fulfill your duty."

Cregan rose from his chair, his own anger beginning to rise. "I have been busy," he said defensively. "There are many pressing matters that require my attention."

"Like what?" Daenera demanded. "What could possibly be more important than your responsibilities as Lord of Winterfell?"

Hr hesitated, realizing that he had no good answer to that question. "I...I have been dealing with some personal matters," he said finally.

She snorted in disbelief. "Personal matters? You have a duty to your people, Cregan. You can not simply shirk your responsibilities because you have some personal issues to deal with."

Cregan's temper flared. "And who are you to lecture me about my duties?" he snapped. "You may be my sister, but you have no right to speak to me in such a manner."

Daenera's eyes flashed. "I am the Lady of Winterfell," she reminded him. "I know what it means to fulfill one's duty to their people. And if you can not do the same, then perhaps you should step down and let someone who can take your place."

Cregan glared at her, his fists clenched at his sides. "I will not be bullied by you, Daenera," he said through gritted teeth.

She took a step closer to him, her own fists clenched. "I am not bullying you," she said firmly. "I am simply reminding you of your duty to your people. And if you can not fulfill that duty, then you have no right to call yourself the Lord of Winterfell."

Daenera stood in front of her brother, her eyes blazing with determination.

"I am sick of you treating me like a child, Cregan," she said firmly. "I am just as capable as you, if not more, so you arrogant shit. I deserve to become Lady of Winterfell, not you."

Cregan looked at her with a mix of amusement and annoyance. "You are a Targaryen now, Daenera," he said. "You have no place ruling over the North anymore. That is our family's birthright."

She bristled at his words. "I married a Targaryen, but I am Stark," she said. "I know its people and its customs just as well as you do. And besides, what makes you think you are more qualified to rule than I am?"

Cregan's expression hardened. "I have trained my whole life to become Lord of Winterfell," he said. "I have fought in battles, negotiated treaties, and earned the respect of our bannermen. You have done none of those things."

"That's not true," Daenera countered. "I have studied history, politics, and strategy. I am a quick learner and a natural leader. I could do just as well as you, if not better."

Cregan shook his head. "You are delusional," he said. "You will never be the Lady of Winterfell, Daenera. You are not fit to rule."

She felt a surge of anger and frustration. "You are just saying that because you are threatened by me," she spat. "You know I could do a better job than you, and you can't stand the thought of being surpassed by your little sister."

Cregan's eyes narrowed. "That's it," he said. "I am done with this conversation. You are no longer welcome in Winterfell. You are hereby disowned once again."

She stared at him in shock, her heart sinking. "What?" she whispered. "You can't do that."

"I just did," Cregan said coldly. "Now leave my sight before I change my mind."

Just then, the room began to shake. "Say what you will, but the only reason you invited me hear was so I could clean up your mess."

"Oh, please." Cregan scoffed.

Suddenly, the shaking stopped as Daenera took a deep breath."Mark my words, brother. The next time I return, I will be coming with an army at my back."

"You wouldn't."

"Watch me." She said to him, then stopped out.