46.

When you saw an old picture that captured the happiness of passed times, not even then you could lift a smile to your lips. There was only the deep haunting gap between where you last left your peace.

It became a rift.

The gap had turned into an abyss over the last couple of days. The abyss was an empty void you fell just as though you were drowning.

Slowly and suffocating with your bones and lungs crushing beneath the waves.

There was no ground beneath your feet, no support of your own as far as you could tell. There were friends and loved ones but not even they knew how to help. You didn't know it yourself—so how should they support you in the right ways when you didn't even know how to cope with it? Right there was nothing to do.

His call was a temporary break from the reality you avoided to face. That your mum would die of cancer if she had no access to surgery. Which to be quite frank, you hadn't gotten out of your mind yet. How was that supposed to work? There was no such thing as a coping mechanism that worked.

You simply didn't have the money, the treatment and medicine were already stupidly expensive and it made tears well at your eyes for how you overworked and strained your body—stretched such mental gymnastics for it only to be pointless.

Neither had you turned on any other device to check. This situation with having to make it to the #1 charts that had left your mind. That was almost close to forgetting, you were embarrassed pretty quickly when you realized they had left you to sleep after this seemed important.

Once the caller ID made its way to your phone screen you accepted it with a shaking hand.

"We did it, we made it to #1 in the hit charts!" he exclaimed, the surprise stirred in you where you couldn't express anything other than to choke on your carefully chosen words.

"We did it Y/n!" He exclaimed with a tone so bright, it made you want to clench your chest and rip out that uncomfortable sensation that haunted you everywhere.

"Oh really?" you asked with a breathless voice, "that's amazing," you added quickly. To cover your tracks from someone who had suffered strong abandonment issues and could recognise your behaviour even better was harder than you thought.

The traces were covered up, hopefully. You prayed for it.

Your eyes drifted off along the lines of the words you tried to listen to. Your thoughts were with the sweet apples lying in the kitchen. They brought the faintest of smiles on your lips—a nice reminder of him—the crimson apples, fresh and juicy.

You went over and grabbed one, the round shape you grasped was alike to the summer evening—where he'd ruffle your hair and pass an apple to you with a smirk.

The silence that inherited yourself became obvious. Another one followed—this time it wasn't just you—he kept silent too.

'Oh fuck' you thought, cursing your dwelling in the past.

You quietly sat on the couch scrolling through your phone—sharing a few retweets on your account for the member's promotion and success. The mindless scrolling would always be chosen over confronting the bitter reality—the complicated void you'd try to dodge.

The annoyance, this hot feeling, and a groan left your lips—the subconscious pressure that went through your body was weird—it set you under pressure. Suddenly you snapped out of it.

"Ahh... it's boring." you mumbled, "God damn it." You couldn't sit still, you simply couldn't. You swore under your breath. There was only silence accompanying you.

"So she'll die.. really.. huh? Nothing there to stop it," You sighed and pushed the weight back on your feet. You paced the livingroom back and forth as your heart rattled in your chest.

"It was all fucking pointless," you held a pillow and hugged it to your stomach. You cracked a smirk, and a smirk turned into a hysterical laughter. Tears dwelled at your eyes. This was the end.

Imprisoned, like your mind.

The repetitive ring of the doorbell made you stumble back. You went  forward to push the door open.

Suddenly a bright face, so comforting and warm. Eyes of green and lips you kissed before.

It was Venti, ready to unknowingly provide comfort.

Even without processing he clinged onto you and embraced you. "We did it, but I knew something was wrong—something is wrong. My love," he whispers, "you're not doing well are you?" he asked as you buried your head in his shoulder.

He came alone just him—that wasn't great at all. That is what you would have assumed if he didn't spoke with such words of care.

"Your cheeks have been puffy for a while and so your cheeks are stained with tears." he said. "I'm not much of a outstanding comforting presence." he stroke her hair, circulations and repetitiveness that caused your mind to remain sane and stable. Away from the choking sobs that left your throat.

Your voice came out barely as a whisper, a sentence shattered to pieces. "Venti, this whole situation.. it's.. well, my mother is dying."  You chocked out, the words barely left your throat.

Everything and everyone stayed quiet. Not even the birds or the crickets dared to cause the slightest noise. The faint breathing was the last thing your mind took in.

This unbearable quietness that was once so awkward felt now like a raging splinter you desired to get rid of.

Silence.

Glass clear silence and faint breathing, nothing more and yet it crushed your heart even more.

"Oh darling, I'm so sorry." he whispered, holding you gently.

——✧・゚: ★,。・::・゚☆
RAINEE's NOTE;
May I introduce: my lack of detail and creativity in this chapter 🙏🫡

But hey at least there's a continuation by now. Maybe I'll finish it with getting back on schedule soon.