7.

——present

[ 1st pov ]

Today was an average day, the kind where the sun rose the same, the sky hid occasionally between clouds, and my thoughts would be pondering in worries. Or so I would explain it if it were close to this. However, it wasn't that simple while I was skimming through the last traces of my memories where I said anything wrong, I was majorily focusing on the challenge ahead; It was my first day of work.

I couldn't sleep a lot the night before, but despite the events, I went into the day with a lot of energy. The feeling my gut produced was awful, churning between one of excitement and another of anxiety, fluctuating.

I remembered reading through the paragraph, word by word.

I held my breath, not knowing where my expectations were supposed to lay. I couldn't tell if it wasn't  a hallucination, and I'd realize it any moment. Whether this was real or not only came to a conclusion once I was rereading the whole thing, because I was convinced it couldn't be true or that I had missed a word.

It was real, but it felt surreal like a dream.

I even called Albedo, who assured me that I did indeed get the job. He took another 10 minutes to calm me down and explain that there wasn't any misunderstanding. My mind was racing with imagination and scenarios that drove me mad with embarrassment. Occasionally, I'd draw out all of the scenarios that could happen, and it stirred a tight knot in my chest.

I focused on the streets as I walked. The world was a dark place with loud sounds of traffic that caused me to wince occasionally. Then there were other times, I was surprised by a bird passing by close, chirping a sweet song that brought smiles up to the faces of people like me, who found small joys in life.

I had something to do, which didn't mean I was busy. I managed to fill my days without excessively exhausting myself. There wasn't anything interesting to tell about my days, but I'd do the things considered boring or uninteresting. They were mine alone, and I liked to spend them without a routine. I could decide when and what to do without being bound.

A prime example for that was that call with Albedo, I didn't call him up to cause havoc in a while, but whenever I had the chance I'd take him up on the golden opportunity,  to ask him about his day. Sometimes, it felt like an interrogation when we called, which could be amusing. realized We would turn the tone different when realizing.

Those days ended up as the most special ones despite everything seemingly going downhill.

But now, having the privilege to earn money was even better. I tried my best to appear as happy and sympathetic on the first impression. It was the most important one, after all, as my mother taught me.

In her motherhood and my childhood, she gave me many lessons and taught me such rules society valued. I held them close to heart, and sometimes they helped me, like today where I'd meet an important person for the first time.

I held my phone close in my hands. As soon as I arrived, I unlocked my phones lockscreen to check the address and then compared it with the building. As I looked up, my eyes were amazed how this building didn't awake any suspension yet. But, no wonder it was in a rather well-off financial neighborhood.

I opened the gate to go through the front yard. My eyes fell on the bushes filled in the garden decorated with many flowers that wore so many different colors. They left a beautiful scent in the air. I imagined them dancing in a light breeze on a cool spring day.