Chapter TwentyFive

"Align" pushed the chapter and next.
(Not edited)

Lew POV

I gasped and took in a deep breath as my heart started to beat once again. I laid there panting as I thought the deed had been done, but then I felt the link to Vincent was wide open. I opened my mind to him and saw that was on his knees outside the cave with his arms spread wide, pushing everything he had into me.

I could feel his body weaken as he pushed his energy out, forcing his strength into me. I tried to shut off our connection before it was too late, but I was either to weak to do it or something was keeping it open. His body began to shake and his eyes got wide as his skin slowly started to pull in tight. The more I tried to break the link the faster his life was being drained, and sucked into me. His skin lay flat against his bones, and a whimpering breath escaped his shriveling lips, as he looked into my eyes. I felt his heart stop as his lifeless body fell helplessly to the ground in a pile of skin and bones, and then the link was finally broken. No. No. NO

"NOOOOO!!!" I yelled as it dawned on me that the tree was not just feeding from me, but was feeding from him as well. I yanked my arm from the root leaving flesh and meat where it was attached and stood up abruptly. I stumbled as my head became dizzy at the loss of blood and fell back to the ground. As I laid there breathing heavily, as blood continued to pour from my wound, and disappeared into ground. Even after all that, it was still feeding from me. " You have me, I am your offering, not him. Bring him back!" I begged as I made it back up to my knees placing my palms flat on the ground to hold myself up. "Please, just take me." I closed my eyes and hung my head and let the tears fall freely to the ground.

Images of Vincent began running though my head as I thought of all that we had been though. All the things we had done together, like how we went against all odds and became best friends when we were suppose to be sworn enemies. How we fought side by side for little less than a century, taking out flocks of ravenous vampires and packs of rabid rouges. And when the mate of mate bond first rumbled in my chest making me feel things for him I never felt before, but knew that it meant something and everything. Then when I found Lynny, all these things together made it perfectly clear as to what my purpose in life is.

I know now why I met Vin a century ago and now Lynny. I know why the fates had brought us all together as a triad. It was for this moment, right here, right now. They are my mates. They are mine to love, mine to protect, mine to die for.

The ground under my palm began to quake, and peeked open one of my eyes to see and a single root slide up my wounded arm, and wrap itself around it. I took a deep breath and tightly closed my eyes again, thinking this was finally going to be the end, and I will fulfill my purpose.

But suddenly I saw a bright light shine through my eyelids, and I opened my eyes in surprise to see that the root was glowing. Then, I heard the leaves begin to rustle, so I lifted my heavy head to see the tree glowing as well while the branches quivered in their dance.

That sweet welcoming scent filled the air again and the branches stilled their shaking. The black box was then lowered down out of the leaves to land on the ground at the base of the tree. The tree's glow dimmed leaving a soft light just enough to see in the room.

"A true sacrifice has been made." The wolf spirit said as it lifted the box and carried it to me. " Your selfless act and your unconditional love for your two mates, grants you permission to use this box. We advise you to make sure that when the demon is locked away inside, you return the box to the tree for proper disposal of the creature."

The root released my arm and I raised my arm into the air turning it this way and that and making a fist to flex my muscle as I inspected it. It was perfectly healed, better than new actually. I looked back at the Wolf spirit as it held the box out towards me. I didn't want to sound ungrateful but the only thing I worried about at the moment was Vincent.