Look What They've Done To My Brain, Ma

Fae

Arthur had always been there for me. From the time Ma fought cancer when his father was the doctor and I'd wait to see him so we could play with his action figures, through my Rhea, my sister's time when he was still training and be the helping doctor, making Rhea laugh through her layer of pain, and now mine, so it wasn't a big surprise when he got defensive over the fact that my health was quickly fading. What I did get surprised by though, was everything that came after his over worrying.

"Fae, I have to confess something," he said, his voice growing deeper with seriousness.

"Yeah?" I asked him, confused, "this is not another death lecture is it? Cause I've had enough of those, I'm going to die eventually anyways."

We had scheduled a check-up for me before the ultra-sound and as always, Alia was running late.

"Y-you know, we've known each other for a long time," he began.

"Yeah practically like best friends, so?" I was utterly confused and unsuspicious of his actions.

"So, so uhm," he fiddled with the collar of his doctor coat. Running his hands through his hair, he opened his mouth to speak and in my oblivion, I was startled when he pushed me against the wall, locking his lips with mine. His lips were hard against mine but as I continued to let him kiss me, getting into a rhythm, our lips softened against each other. I felt his emerging stubble under his chin as I nipped my tongue to lick his lower lip. He pressed me against him as he slithered his tongue into my mouth. A set of large hands rubbed my sides as the kiss began to get more intimate. His stubble brushed down my neck as he left a trail of kisses. My fingers curled in his hair as I brought his lips back to mine. I moaned against his lips as his fingers continued caressing my sides. At the moan, I heard a slight gasp and he parted his lips from mine in confusion.

"Is everything okay?" He breathed.

"Y-yeah, why?" I managed.

"Well, you gasped.." He bit my lower lip as he said this.

Confusedly, I shook my head. "It wasn't me."

"Oh," he said, staring at my lips.

"Can I kiss you again?" I giggled at his question, pushing my lips against his, deciding to ignore the insignificant gasp for the moment.

Mia

What is with us humans and running away from practically everything? Our first reflex to a complex situation is to flight, and to me, that is the least imaginable reaction for the simple reason that we must face our problems to overcome them. We're funny beings, us humans.

We're all so caught up in our own problems, however trivial, that we don't realize, that it's perfectly acceptable to make a mistake, it's perfectly acceptable to fall in love - or out of love, it's perfectly acceptable to cry, scream, shout, love and hate. Although we tell ourselves not to obsess over the past or the future and to focus on the present, we don't realize that humans are so stuck in the present we can't fathom overcoming our problems and dreaming up a life, or a dimension other than the one we live in one. We are so comfortable with being comfortable, so happy to stay below the radar that we joyfully believe that our lives are the most pressing matters in the universe. We are so entangled in why we didn't pass the math test, the stranger who smiled at us two days ago or that one person who can make us feel like the most special person in the world and at the same time make us feel as if we don't even deserve to exist. We don't realize that there is a world outside our lives of problems, that we are just a small part of the equation of the universe and we understand barely part of that equation.