Chapter 36

Cooper sat in his office staring at the large clock on the wall. Time was ticking down, Brian had two minutes to walk through the door before he was considered late. The longer Cooper sat alone in silence the larger the smile on his face grew.

The office was soundproof, to keep private conversations from wandering ears, so Cooper was mildly surprised when the door was flung open without any warning. He quickly steeled his expression and stood to greet the man that was now over ten minutes late.

"Do you own a watch? I pay you enough, surely you can afford such luxury's." Cooper spoke sarcastically, slowly approaching the man.

"I do, sir. I apologi-" Brian's sentence was cut off.

"You do? So my time must be worthless to you then?" Cooper toyed with the man, enjoying the fear radiating off of him. He had no intentions of punishing the poor guy for being late, but he greatly enjoyed playing with this particular man.

"N-no! No, of course not, sir." Brian rushed to defend himself, he had been on the other side of town. It was a miracle he had gotten here as fast as he did.

"Enough." Cooper shouted. "You have wasted too much of my time already. We are here to discuss your current job performance, not your lack of respect. Now sit down." Coopers voice had gone deep and tense.

Cooper did not tower over this man, they were roughly the same build, but he was far more menacing. Everything about Cooper Grant screamed dangerous and uncaring, a deadly combination. Brian could see this, a blind man would be able to see that.

Not wanting to aggravate his employer any further, Brian shuffled past the large body blocking his way and practically fell into the nearest chair. He sat facing the back wall so he missed the glint in Coopers eye. He was acting exactly how Cooper had expected him to.

"I'm not happy, Bri. Can you guess why?" Cooper began as he turned back to take his original seat. "No?" He continued when the frightened man made no move to answer him. "You're work, as of late, has been .... well let's just say you've been slacking off. You failed to get me a real file on Marcus. But most importantly, you neglected to tell me that Natalie was attacked in college. Tell me why I shouldn't fire you right here?"

Brian's blood ran cold. Everyone knew that to be fired by Cooper Grant personally meant a bullet to the head. It was the main reason that Sam was usually in charge of the personnel issues for the Devils. Brian could feel the eggshells under his feet, he had tread carefully.

"Sir. I apologize. I have my best people on the Marcus file, if there is something to know we will find it soon." He could see the bored look on Coopers face slowly turning into one of rage. "And as far as Natalie goes ... well her background was almost too easy, there was no record of her every having gone to the police for an attack. We would have found it immediately."

"Who is we? I pay you, Brian. I let you over charge me by an arm and a leg because you're the best, now you're telling me that you push your jobs off to other people?" Cooper yelled a the man sitting across from him. Of course he already knew about Brians associates.

"Well ... I have a team .." Brian wasn't sure how to approach this subject, he assumed that Cooper knew that he had help with the various tasks he was given.

"A whole team and you still couldn't do your job correctly?" Cooper asked condescendingly.

Brian was at a loss for words. If Natalie had not filled out any sort of police report or been to the doctor to get checked out from an attack, then there was no way for Brian or his team to know about it. He knew to argue such things would be pointless, it was clear that Cooper was looking for a fight.