Chapter 46

"Steve," I called after the man, storming down the hallway after him. He didn't respond, "Steven!"

"How can you just take that? That's fear? What is Fury thinking?" Steve asked angrily, stopping and whipping around.

I walked up to him angrily.

"I'm not just taking that. Nick is completely in the wrong. But so is getting up in his face like that." I explained, trying to keep my voice even as I grabbed Steve's hand.

"I know. It's just..." Steve trails off with a sigh. I take another step closer to him.

"I know what you need." I smiled faintly, taking his hand and walking down the hallway to the parking lot, "Let's go visit Bucky."

I smiled as I felt Steve squeeze my hand as we walked into the elevator.

"Garage, please," I instructed the elevator.

"Going down." The elevator said in return as we started to move.

I smiled as I looked at Steve. He was mine. Even with that slight temper, it only came out when he was itching for justice anyway, I still loved him.

"Garage." The elevator said as the doors opened.

Steve and I stepped out and walked over to Steve's motorcycle.

"So, when do I get you to ride mine?" I asked, buckling my helmet and sitting on the motorcycle.

"Never," Steve smirked, doing the same.

I wrapped my arms around Steve's waist as he pulled out of the garage and onto the road.

I always loved being able to ride with Steve, even if he refused to let me drive.

20 minutes later, we reached the Smithsonian.

"Ready?" Steve asked, parking and taking off his helmet.

"I should be asking you that question," I smirked, taking off my helmet and grabbing Steve's hand.

Steve chuckled, grabbing a baseball hat out of his back pocket and putting it on.

"Really? That's your big disguise?" I asked with a scoff, crossing my arms playfully.

Steve only chuckled in response.

"Idiot," I smirked, pulling the front of the cap over his eyes.

Steve chuckled, fixing the hat as we walked inside.

We walk inside and make our way to the Captain America section.

"Welcome to the Smithsonian. Visitor information booths are available on the second level." A recorded woman over the loudspeaker said cheerily. That's how you could tell she wasn't real.

Right as we are about to enter Steve's exhibit, I stop.

"One second. Let me fix your hat." I smile, reaching up and moving to fix Steve's hat.

Steve stops to let me fix the hat and I sneak a quick kiss with a cheeky smile. Steve smiles slightly, still upset about Fury.

"There we go. Much better." I smile, taking Steve's hand and walking through the doorway to the exhibit.

Steve's face was plastered on the walls, along with those of the Howling Commandos. Various exhibits were displaying what the museum curators thought were Steve's old things. The only thing that Steve confirmed was real was his old suit along with the suits of his Commandos.

This exhibit was the first place I dragged Steve to when we arrived in D.C.

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery, and sacrifice. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first Super-Soldier." A male narrator said as we walked through the exhibits.

As we pause to look at one, a kid makes eye contact with Steve and seems to recognize him. Steve puts a finger to his lips with a smile. The kid nods in disbelief.

I smile as we move on. He would be such a good dad.

Steve and I wander through the Captain America exhibit, the narrators blending as we walk.

"In this rare footage, everyone's favorite war hero, Captain America..." A second narrator trails off as we walk past a screen showing what looks like a battle, but Steve confirmed it was staged during our first visit.

Then we reached Steve's favorite part.

"Battle-tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission: taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division." A narrator said as we stood in front of Bucky Barnes' exhibit, "Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barns and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

Steve looked sadly at the Bucky exhibit and the video of the two below it and I looked sadly at Steve.

Bucky and Steve were laughing together. I had never seen Steve laugh like that with anyone.

I dragged Steve over to a different section. Peggy's interview.

We sat down in the makeshift movie theater as the video was about half over.

"That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve, Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over 1,000 men. Including the man who would...Who would become my husband, as it turned out. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life." Peggy sighed in a professional tone. It was nice, seeing young Peggy. I had only ever seen her when she was older.

"Come on Steve, it's time to visit her." I smile, squeezing Steve's hand.

He nodded, squeezing it back.

Word Count: 919

*Hi Loves. Alright. I give up on making promises. You'll get updates when you get them. I have everything planned out until the end of the story, give or take some details. Don't kill me. Make sure you eat and drink something and get plenty of sleep. Stay Magical ✨️*