Chapter 14

"The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports of The Tesseract. But it's going to take weeks to process," Bruce says from his table. He was scanning Loki's scepter with a machine. Tony was across the room looking at screens while I sat in a spinny chair as emotional support.

"If we bypass their mainframe and direct route to the Homer cluster we can clock this at around 600 teraflops," Tony says, walking in Bruce's direction.

"Heh, all I packed was a toothbrush." Bruce laughs.

"Heh. You know you should stop by Stark Tower sometime. Top ten floors, all R and D. You'd love it. It's Candy Land." Tony says, reaching Bruce. I sat up, knowing he was gonna do something.

"Tony," I warned.

"Thanks, but the last time I was in New York, I kind of broke Harlem," Bruce says bitterly. I smiled sadly at him. He saw the Hulk as a disease when he could easily use him for something much better with some practice. I had seen the videos. And read his file.

"Well, I promise a stress-free environment," Tony says, walking to the other side of Bruce. Bruce scoffs. Valid.

"No tension, no surprises," Tony says, poking Bruce in the side with an electrical doo-hickey.

"Ow!" Bruce exclaims, turning to Tony.

"Tony!" I chastise, jumping up from my seat. Didn't he know how dangerous that was?

"Hey!" Steve said from the doorway. I hadn't noticed him come in.

"Nothing?" Tony asks Bruce, ignoring Steve and me completely.

"Are you nuts?" Steve asks Tony, walking forward.

"Yes," I say quickly.

"Jury's out." Tony says before turning back to Bruce, "You have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, a huge bag of weed?"

I see Bruce smirk a little.

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve asks, stopping in front of the desk Bruce was working at.

"Funny things are," Tony says, pointing the doo-hickey at Steve.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, Doc." Steve says firmly.

"He's right Tony. Bruce is as safe as can be but you've seen the videos. The Hulk is like a toddler with a gun." I say in a worried tone. How could he do this when I, his soulmate and girlfriend, was on board? Not to mention the other hundred or so agents.

"It's alright, I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things," Bruce says before turning back to his work.

"You're tip-toeing, big man. You need to strut." Tony says, walking past Steve to go back over to his screens.

"And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark," Steve says, stopping Tony.

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us in? Why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us?" Tony asks, "I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"You think Fury's hiding something?" Steve asks speculatively.

"He's a spy. Captain, he's 'the' spy. His secrets have secrets." Tony says before turning to Bruce, "It's bugging him, too. Isn't it?"

"Uhhhhh. I just want to finish my work here and-" Bruce starts, gesturing towards his work.

"Doctor?" Steve interrupts.

Bruce sighs.

"'A warm light for all mankind.' Loki's jab at Fury about the Cube." Bruce says slowly.

"I heard it," Steve says impatiently. I give him a look that he ignores. Why do all of my soulmates ignore me?

"Well, I think that was meant for you. Even if Barton didn't tell Loki about the tower, it was still all over the news." Bruce says, gesturing to Tony.

"The Stark Tower? That big, ugly building in New York?" Steve asks.

Tony gave Steve a dirty look.

"Steve," I warn. Why couldn't they all at least pretend to be civil?

"It's powered by an arc reactor, a self-sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for, what, a year?" Bruce asks Tony.

"It's just the prototype. I'm kinda the only name in clean energy right now. That's what he's getting at." Tony explains.

"So, why didn't S.H.I.E.L.D. bring him in on the Tesseract project? What are they doing in the energy business in the first place?" Bruce asks, rhetorically.

"I should probably look into that once my decryption program finishes breaking into all of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secure files," Tony says nonchalantly.

"What?" I exclaim, feeling the blood rush out of my face. This was bad. This was very, very bad.

"I'm sorry. Did you say-" Steve starts.

"Jarvis has been running it since I hit the bridge. In a few hours, I'll know every dirty secret S.H.I.E.L.D. has ever tried to hide. Blueberry?" Tony asks, holding a small bag out to Steve and me, who had just moved over to stand next to Steve.

"Yet you're confused about why they didn't want you around," Steve says, shaking his head.

"Tony. How could you do this? You're gonna get in so much trouble if not worse." I say, fearfully. I only just found him a week ago, I can't lose him now.

"An intelligence organization that fears intelligence? Historically, not awesome." Tony says bluntly.

"I think Loki's trying to wind us up. This is a man who means to start a war, and if we don't stay focused he'll succeed. We have orders. We should follow them." Steve says, staring daggers at Tony.

"Following's not really my style," Tony says sassily.

"And you're all about style, aren't you?" Steve asks sarcastically, walking forward. My soulmates are so sassy and sarcastic.

"Nobody say anything you're gonna regret," I warn.

"Of the people in this room, which one is, A, wearing a spangly outfit, and, B, not of use?" Tony asks, clearly gesturing toward Steve.

"Tony!" I exclaim. I did that a lot lately.

"Steve, tell me none of this smells a little funky to you," Bruce says from his work area, not helping the situation at all.

"Just find the Cube," Steve says, walking out of the room

"Steve-" I call after him. He doesn't stop, however, and just keeps walking down the hallway. He stops momentarily to turn around and walk in the other direction, severely getting my hopes up before disappearing from view.

"Y/N-" Tony starts, walking towards me.

"No. Don't talk to me right now." I say before walking out of the room angrily to blow off some steam.

Word Count: 1044

*Hey Love! Sorry I'm late...again. But I'm trying to make these longer. I also have these chapters mostly planned out for the entire Avengers movie plot line so yeah. I hope you have had a good day or will continue to have a good day. Make sure you eat and drink something and get plenty of sleep. Stay magical ✨️*