Chapter 47

Steve and I are sitting next to Peggy in her room at the Veterans Center. I had met her before, but her dementia had caught up with her. We always had to do introductions again.

"You should be proud of yourself, Peggy." Steve smiled sadly, looking at a picture of Peggy and her family.

Peggy makes a noise in agreement.

"I have lived a life. My only regret is that you didn't get to live yours." Peggy frowns, looking up at him, "What is it?"

"For as long as I can remember, I just wanted to do what was right. I guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. And I thought I could throw myself back in and follow orders. Serve. It's just not the same." Steve sighs as I rub his back.

"You're always so dramatic." Peggy laughed, shaking her head, "Look, you saved the world. We rather mucked it up."

"You didn't. Knowing that you helped found S.H.I.E.L.D. is half the reason I stay." Steve said seriously, his eyes boring into hers.

"Hey," Peggy starts, getting Steve's attention, "The world has changed, and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best. And sometimes the best that we can do is start over."

Peggy started coughing violently.

"Peggy?" Steve asks, leaning forward in concern.

Peggy slowly looks up at him before realizing who he is.

"Steve?" Peggy asks, her eyes widening.

"Yeah?" Steve asks, concern filling his face.

"You're alive. You came...You came back." Peggy stutters, tears filling her eyes.

"Yeah, Peggy." Steve smiles sadly, whispering as he tries not to cry himself.

"It's been so long. So long." Peggy mutters as she shakes her head softly, tears flowing down her cheeks.

"Well, I couldn't leave one of my best girls. Not when she owes me a dance." Steve smiles, putting a hand over his.

"One?" Peggy asks in confusion before looking at me.

"Hi, Peggy. I'm Y/N. I'm Steve's soulmate." I smile, holding out a hand for her to shake. She takes it.

"Take care of him, Y/N. Please." She smiles before turning to Steve, "And Steve, take care of her too."

"We will. We'll take care of each other." I nodded, a smile on my face as Steve gripped my hand tightly.

"We have to go. But I promise I'll come back soon." Steve sighs, kissing Peggy on the forehead before opening the door and leaving with me.

We both walk out of the room and down the stairs to the lobby.

"Hey, if you're up for it, Sam is hosting a group therapy session in the lobby. It should be wrapping up right about now if you want to say hi." I ask tentatively, stopping us in our tracks and turning to look at him.

"Sure. Why not?" Steve asks, smiling a fake smile.

"Perfect. Come on. Who knows? Maybe it'll make you feel better." I smile, grabbing Steve's hand and leading him over to a doorway of a large room to the side.

The room was filled with rows of chairs, all of them filled with people. Sam was standing at the front of a podium. A lady was talking, telling her story with tears in her eyes.

"I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week. He thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED." The lady croaked, tears in her eyes.