Chapter 23

"Whatever you do, don't activate the trigger until AFTER the false agents enter the room," Clint says over our earpieces.

"What? But I was planning on setting it off before they went in. Let them view the fireworks and all." I sassed, rolling my eyes. "I'm new, not stupid. Do you really think so little of me?"

"Guys, focus," Nat says from her vent. We were in the middle of a mission a few months after the attack on New York if you couldn't guess. Nat and I were in vents near the top of the room while Clint was on the outside on the glass roof. We had to do a standard blow-up enemy headquarters type thing. This old mall was the headquarters.

"Alright. Alright." I sigh, shaking my head. Why did she have to be the sensible one here?

At that moment, five false agents came into the room. One of them was holding a briefcase and all of them were holding guns. Upon closer inspection, they were Chitauri guns.

"Fuck." I curse. We were not expecting this. The trigger just shorted out any earpieces they might have. If they had Chitauri weapons, they could wipe us out in one shot. This was going to be harder than we thought.

"Do it now," Nat says from her vent. She clearly couldn't see the guns.

"Chitauri weapons." I breathe out, trying to come up with a plan.

"Fuck." Clint curses.

"How? S.H.I.E.L.D gathered up all the Chitauri weapons a couple of months ago." Nat whispers out.

"How should I know?" I ask frantically. I struggle to keep my voice down. This is one of my training missions. How am I supposed to-

"Y/N." Nat snaps me back into reality, "Press the button. Then slam them into the wall."

"Right. You've got this." Clint reassures, "And if not, you've got back up."

I nod, even though they can't see me, and press the button. A loud screech runs through my earpiece as I yank it out.

That's one of the drawbacks, it affects all earpieces.

Nat and I drop down from our vents, Nat's guns blazing and me keeping us from dying from the 50-foot drop. Clint drops down on a rope also firing arrows at the agents. They miss on purpose to back the agents into a corner. We need what's in that briefcase and if it dropped we're done for.

As Nat, Clint, and I hit the ground, I raise my hands and push the agents to the wall. I make sure that the briefcase doesn't hit the wall. Don't want an explosion on our hands or something. Fury never really explained what was in here. Just that Tony needed it and that it was 'delicate'.

"Let's get it and go. I don't want any more surprises." Clint says, watching the door as he picks up his arrows.

Nat grabs the briefcase from the Agent and I drop the agents down.

"Let's go," I say turning away. I still wasn't used to the violence that came with the job. I heard five gunshots from Nat, who was still behind me, and the three of us walked over the rope to climb out through the roof.

                                ~~~

"Here you go, Tony. One mystery briefcase." I say, handing the man the case. We were at S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. The lobby, to be specific.

"Thank you, My Dear. And fellow soulmates." Tony says, waving to Nat and Clint behind me.

"You get back to work. And stop bothering them." I sigh, pushing him towards the elevator.

Tony lets out a pout and turns to face me. I chuckle before pulling him in by the collar of his shirt to kiss him.

He kisses me softly at first before I wrap my arms around his neck. His hands wrap around my waist, pulling me close as he nibbles at my bottom lip for entrance.

I pull away laughing at his want.

"I thought I said you needed to work?" I laugh, pressing the button behind Tony.

"Since when is your name 'to work?" Tony whispers in my ear.

I sigh as the door opens and I push Tony inside.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Love," I say before the door closes. I love that human, even if I haven't said it to him yet.

Word Count: 725

*Hey Loves! And special Love (You know who you are). I'm afraid that filler chapters will be a bit shorter, but I'll make sure to add plenty to fill up these next few years (MCU time). Also, yes, I was multitasking. Sue me. Make sure you eat and drink something and get plenty of sleep. Stay magical ✨️*