Chapter 18- Ghost

I wanted answers, I was afraid to get them. The last time I looked for answers, I got heartbreak instead. I was alone fore the first time in days. I wasn't used to listening to my own thoughts. I put on my leggings and white long sleeve shirt. I left my hair straight today since I had other things to focus on. I slowly opened my moms room it was now pitch dark. I turned on the lamp again and frowned. I never turned that off. I walked over to the dresser quickly and found the file untouched. I sighed in relief opening it finding it blank. My eyes went wide and my heart sank, someone was in my moms room. I grabbed my keys and ran to my car quickly as Ryan pulled up.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Don't worry about it." I smiled tightly.

"God dammit rylie tell me where your going?" She asked.

"Errands." I smiled sarcastically. I got into my car and slammed on the gas heading straight to the police station. I barged in and everyone looked at me confused.

"Dad." I spoke.

"That way." One girl pointed I looked at his office barging in quickly.

"Rylie? What's wrong." He asked getting up, I smiled and felt tears brimming and started to let them fall.

"Hey." He said pulling me into a hug.

"The file, it's gone. Someone was in my house dad." I cried He pulled away looking me in the eyes.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"I hid the file in moms drawer, it's gone, the folder is the only thing left." I cried.

"Is there anyone you know who would have taken it?" He asked.

"No, no one knew about that file and were it was." I cried. .

"Okay it's okay." He reassured. I wasn't used to this, it was strange.

"Here's the more updated one I put together anyway." He sighed sitting me down.

"Should we be worried that someone has it?" I asked.

"Odds are whoever has it knows about the mass murders." He sighed.

"It's your safety that concerns me most." He sighed thinking hard.

"Is there somewhere else you can stay?" He asked.

"No, I'm not leaving that's my home." I said carefully.

"Do you have a gun?" He asked, my eyes went wide.

"No." I said simply.

"Well, you should at least have a shot gun for defense." He said.

"I'll swing by later today and drop on off." He said.

"Okay." I smiled nodding. He walked me back to my car and smiled softly.

"Let me know if you need anything okay?" He asked.

"Okay." I smiled. I started driving back o my house feeling a pit in my stomach someone was in there. Was it while I was sleeping? At school? I felt sick. I pulled into the driveway and seen Ryan sitting on my steps. I slowly got out looking at her and taking in a deep breath. I had to do this. I walked over to her and sat on the steps next to her.

"Hey." I smiled sadly.

"Hey." She sighed, looking at the sunset.

"Ryan, I don't know where we go from here." I started sighing sadly. She looked at me with a sad look in her eyes.

"I want to hear you out and talk about what exactly is going on, but everywhere I turn I'm finding a new lie, big ones." I said looking at the ground.

"Rylie, I'm sorry I did this to you." She sighed.