Preparing for This Nightmare

*this time skip is brought to you by my sanity (homecoming day!)*

Also valve block because yeah 😎🤷

——————————————————-

I'd just finished washing my face when I heard a knock on my door. At least people have the decency to knock. "In," I say, letting the person know they can come in.

"Today's homecoming," the voice says. It's Tony, "Are you planning on going?"

I take a deep breath out and try to formulate a perfect reply. "Yep," I decide to throw in simply. No need for a super thought process. He gives me a bit of a weird, almost dad-like look. In the time since the Avengers breakup, I've gotten a lot closer with Tony, and hated him a lot less. But I'll never forget the other half of my family, and the family I left behind on the farm. I should totally visit the Barton's soon.

"Are you going with anybody?" He asks, expecting me to say no. He's well aware that I'm homeschooled and don't like having friends that much. "Yep," I simply say again, returning my focus to scouring the closet for my dress. I just bought it three days ago, I couldn't have already lost it.

This time he looks at me with disbelief. "Really? Who?" He's probably expecting me to go with Peter as friends. "I'm going with a friend," I add nonchalantly, still searching for the dress. "Do I know this friend?" He pries. I want him to shut up, honestly. Hazel and I have been talking a lot more frequently and the more we talk, the more I like her. She occupies every other thought of mine and I hate it. "You would not." I cut off any idea he might have of me going with Peter with that comment, as I finally find the dress. I smooth it out and set it gently on the bed. I've still got a while but I have to shower and do my hair.

"That's a pretty dress. It's very you. If you need anything, just let me know. I can drive you guys, I'd love to meet this 'friend'!" He says enthusiastically.

"Oh boy," I mutter, "what's for breakfast? I've only got a couple more hours to get ready."

"Have you forgotten that nobody lives here anymore that can actually cook?" He laughs slightly. I know it was a joke, but I still feel a pang of anger at the mention of the missing side of my family. It's like a divorce.

"I can cook, Rhodey can cook sort of. It's fine, I'll just make some eggs and bacon." I sigh out, moving past him and heading into a kitchen area. The compound doesn't have a million floors like the tower, so it's a lot easier to navigate. There's not ten different kitchens either.

Lately with the whole kidnapping thing and all of Peter's shenanigans Tony has been a lot more hovery towards the two of us. We're just always being monitored and it has started to get on my nerves. Lucky Peter took out his tracker and Tony hasn't figured it out yet, and he can't put a tracker in my suit because it's engineered to my body. He can't do anything to my suit without me knowing about it. I still can't stand the little nub of metal behind my neck though. It brings constant flashbacks every time I acknowledge its presence.

I get out the eggs and a skillet, and hastily turn on a playlist. Time flies by and seems to disappear for a moment when I realize that I've already finished making everything I needed to. I set everything on the table and call my 'family' to breakfast. Rhodey is the first one at the table, followed by Vis coming in through the wall. Happy and Tony are out not much later, and I leave. Before I can actually leave though, I'm stopped by a voice.

"Are you going to eat?" I can't tell who said it. My mind is fumbling, tripping over itself. I'm thrown back into a memory, forgetting where I am. In order to escape confusion, I hastily reply, "I already ate," before running off to my room.