Chapter 36

MAY’S P.O.V

I’m sure I brought half the beach back in my hair, but God was it worth it.

Usually when I have days away from the cafe, all I can do is think about it; are the orders going through okay, have we had any complaints, did Cara sneak in and use my grill to preform a satanic ritual on a stray cat, but not today. Today was just... perfect.

I check my phone as I step out of the shower, I text Steve just to look in on Brie. He’s saying she’s fine but we both know she isn’t.

“Better?” Kage chuckles as I emerge with far less sand in my ass-crack than when I went in there.

“I think there’s still a starfish in here somewhere, I blame you.” I try to squeeze the water out of my curls, it's going to be a nightmare to get through this.

“Hey, you’re the one who decided on best two out of three.”

“Yeah! Because you cheated!” My son is a Judas. I had him dead to rights, this little bitch was going to submit to my cross-face, when Teal gave me his sad ‘please don’t make my daddy cry’ eyes, and I had a moment of weakness. One he took advantage of when he flipped me back first onto the sand, using his ginormous body weight to keep me right there as the tide came in.

It was awful. Can you imagine? Being forced to lay under a muscular, tattooed, hot mug of chocolate, with his abs brushing against your body and hips digging into your thighs... Absolute torture.

I could do it again.

“He's all set, he just needs you to give him... what I’m not equipped for.” Kage passes me my little boy all warm and snuggly from his bath, he's so sleepy, surprising considering he's spent most of the last four hours being rocked in Josh's arms. Sucker.

“I’ll give him boobs, you get in that shower, you're getting sand everywhere.” And I really need you to put some clothes on. Like right now. Watching him in nothing but wet swim shorts all afternoon has left me dangerously dehydrated.

“I’ll clean it up.” He kisses Teal’s cheek, giving me one on the head too before slipping into the bathroom.

Today was different, right? I can feel it. I’m not expecting him to just get there overnight, but I can feel he’s more open now.

Although I still can’t decide if it’s a good thing, Teal latching on and taking his fill, when all I can think is how we could keep having days like today together, as long as neither of us do anything to fuck it up.

And trying to be more, we can’t deny, that really could fuck it up.

I tuck him in as he falls asleep, trying not to cry with cuteness as he slowly sucks on the corner of his blanket. He’s all that matters in this world, he's my only priority. It’s the one thing me and Kage will always agree on.

“Shit fucking dollar-store comb!” The handle breaks on the second comb I’ve tried to get through this rat’s nest, Kage chuckling to himself as he sweeps up the sand from the floor, in nothing but his fucking sweats! He’s really not taking this let’s-not-drive-May-insane thing seriously!

“For gods sake, let me do it.” He tries to close the door between us and Teal, only then remembering it’s broken again when it almost falls off the hinges, before grabbing my last remaining comb and forcing me to sit between his legs. “You want to put a movie on or something? This might take a while.”

I know your game, Mister.

First it’s a movie, then we end up cuddling on the couch, and before I know it, I’m pregnant and running for my life from a mafia psychopath! I’ve played this game before.