Chapter 22

Damn, when he said his place was like the Southside, he wasn’t joking.

It’s almost a carbon copy; the same streets of houses that could probably do with a sprucing up, the same run down rec centres and bar-covered school windows, but the people, they’re real. So real.

I fucking love it.

“Should we wake him up? My mum’s place is right around the corner.” Please stop reminding me, I can barely handle the nerves as it is.

“It’s okay, he'll wake up as soon as you turn the engine off anyway.” Okay, just prepare yourself. Expect the Thompson treatment, Kage did it and you can handle it too. They’re going to hate you, until you make them love you.

We turn the corner, Kage’s smile getting brighter, and there’s no doubt whose house he's going to when the three women standing on the front yard start clapping and waving like crazy at him.

“You sure you're ready for this?” Not even a little bit.

“Absolutely.” Game face. Shoulders back, tits high, remember who the fuck you are. You are Maybelline Parker... just tone down the crazy-Parker a tiny bit. Don’t want to scare them.

“My baby boy!” Kage doesn't even get the engine off before his mum has the door open, throwing herself In through it and completely smothering him. “Where is he? Where is my beautiful grandson?”

“Jesus, Mum! At least let him get out of the fucking car! Hey baby bro, your hair looks like shit.” Big attitude, no filter, crazy eyes. This must be Laticia.

Kage told me she was a lot like Brie, the oldest and the most protective, and without even getting out I can feel it rolling off her in waves. She’s only a few years younger than Jay, the ‘don’t fuck with me’ energy radiating.

“Come on, I’ll introduce you.” Kage gets out, his mum smiling just as much as he does. He looks like her, not completely, I think there’s a lot of his dad in him too, but that smile he got from her.

I’m grateful none of their attention is on me, I’ve never been introduced to a boy’s parents before and this isn’t exactly usual circumstances. I get out but keep my distance when Kage takes Teal out of the back, all three of them clutching their hearts when he lifts his sleepy head and looks at them with his bright blue eyes.

“Oh Kage... he's your double. It’s like looking at my baby boy born all over again.” Valerie cries, still smiling as she takes Teal’s hand in hers.

“Yep, no need for a DNA test on this one.” His other sister chuckles, her own son sitting on her hip. He’s cute too, he doesn't have the blue eyes but he's definitely one of them.

“Can I hold him?” Valerie sobs, extending her arms to Teal before pulling back and looking at me.

“You don’t need her permission, Mum. He’s your grandson.” Jesus, alright. His sister doesn’t even look at me, but the younger one shoves her in the side at the clear fucking attitude in her voice.

“I told you to be nice.”

“She’s the one that kept him from us.” She mumbles her under her breath, but I hear it. I don’t blame her, I get that she’s pissed.

“Is it okay, sweetheart, if I hold him? Or does he need some time to get used to us?” Kage’s mum asks much more gently.

“You can hold him, he'll pretty much go to anyone.” She smiles, all their attention back on Teal when Kage hands him over.

“Hello, little one.” The three women start to stroke his face, smiling at him and wiggling their little fingers to make him chuckle. “I’m your Nanna, yes I am. These are your aunties, but don't worry, I’ll protect you from them.”