Chapter 6

MAY'S P.O.V

PRESENT DAY

The coffee pot slips from my hand, shattering to pieces on the floor and silencing the entire room.

He’s... he's...

“Hope, if this is some fucked up way of getting back at her, it's not fucking funny.” Steve moves straight to my side, I didn’t even see him come back here.

“I wouldn’t lie about this.” I instinctively pull Teal out of his crib, the shattering of glass was enough to wake him but he still doesn’t cry, just resting his head in next to my neck.

Nothing is going to hurt you... I won’t let anything hurt you.

“How do you know? Did someone tell you something?” Steve asks more aggressively than necessary, he can feel my fear. I don’t even understand how she knew he was dead, I never told anyone apart from Milo and Brie.

“I saw him.” That doesn’t mean shit, I see him every time I close my eyes. I swear I’ve seen him walk past these windows a hundred times, I see him everywhere.

“Where?” My heart is racing, Steve is asking all the right questions but I just can’t take in any of the answers.

He can’t be alive, I’d know if he was alive. He would’ve come for me, he would’ve found a way... Ivana, she would’ve found me.

Antonio would never lie to me, not when I was in Italy with a gun to my own head, and especially not after he found out about Teal. If Antonio says he saw his body, he saw his body.

“In London. I spoke to him, just like me and you are now... he's been looking for her.” Thin arms slip between me and Teal, Heather attempting to take him from me when I start to shake, but I just hold him closer.

“Auntie May... it’s okay.” No, it's not.

She spoke to him, how the fuck did she speak to him?

“H-How?” Tears run down my face, finally Hope meeting my eyes, but she doesn’t have to say another word. I know she’s telling the truth.

He’s alive.

“I don’t know, I didn’t get a chance to ask him. I didn’t tell him where you are, I figured you might need to put some stuff in place first.” She pulls a slip of paper out of her jeans, leaving it on the counter. “That’s the company he’s wrestling for now, and the name he goes by. It shouldn’t be hard to find him, when you're ready.”

That’s it, a single piece of paper, to change my life.

Heather tug’s Teal from my arms, and thank fuck, because the moment Hope turns around, I crash straight to the floor.

“May!” Steve drops with me, pulling my entire body into his chest as the scream of agony leaves me.

How? How is he... Where has he been? Where the fuck has he been?

“He’s... H-He’s...”

“I know, May. I know.” I can’t cope with this. How the fuck am I supposed to cope with this?!

“May, you need to breathe.” Heather sits down on the floor next to me, holding Teal in her arms but resting his head against my chest, sobs rippling through my body but I can’t tell what they mean anymore.

Am I happy? Terrified?

I don’t know... I don’t know...

Kage is alive.

Or am I dead?

Maybe it’s all been a dream. Maybe I never got out. Maybe I’m still laying on that bed with enough drugs in my system to make the fantasy real.