CHAPTER 14

'As long as I am with the person I love, … every place becomes romantic'

__

“HOW’S your day?” I asked Thana after both of us settled inside my car. She asked me earlier if I could take her home and I agreed to what she wanted. 

Ngayon ang unang araw ng exam week sa college kaya nais kong malaman mula sa kanya kung naging maayos ba ang unang araw ng pagsusulit niya. 

“It was fine, just a little stressful.” she answered using her tired voice. 

I started the engine of my car and decided to drive while we talked. “It’s normal. You studied very well last night?” 

“I didn’t.” 

“Why?” 

“I was tired.” 

“Uhuh.” Agad akong napaisip dahil naalala ko ang nangyari kahapon. 

It was a brief moment. Leigh decided to end the practice yesterday after that awkward moment with her student. 

Nang makaalis ang lahat ng tao sa loob ng archery hall ay tinignan lang ako ng masama ni Leigh saka niya hinila si Harper palabas. Thana and I talked while I drove her home just like the scenario today. 

“I was thinking,” Thana said in her soft voice. Kaya ako napabaling sa kanya. “You should treat me after the exam.” 

Saglit akong napaisip. “Sure. I’ll introduce you to my favorite cafe.” 

“Favorite cafe? Cafe’s are the same. Pare parehas lang naman yung kapeng binibenta nila.” ignoranteng aniya. 

“You’re a little right but I liked this place because of the atmosphere and I like the people managing the place.” 

“You like all of them?” 

“Yeah, they’re all nice and comforting to be with. Tuwing gusto ko ng tahimik at hindi toxic na lugar, I go there.” 

She murmur some words na hindi ko naman naintindihan. “Take me there then. Let me meet your people.” matabang na aniya. 

“You’ll like it there. Bring Harper with you.” 

“I don’t think I’ll like the place. And I’d appreciate it if it’s just the two of us. Let’s not drag Harper into this.” 

“What? She also deserves a treat after this hell week.” 

“Ms. Leigh will probably take her somewhere.” mahinang aniya. 

Muli ko siyang nilingon at saglit na napangiti nang makitang nakatingin siya sa labas. We were stuck in traffic so I turned on the music inside my car. 

I was tapping my fingers on the steering wheel while waiting for the lights to turn green. Hindi pa rin naaalis ang pananakit ng katawan ko kaya kailangan kong madaliin ang paghatid kay Thana upang agad na makapagpahinga sa bahay. 

I shouldn’t just ignore her requests since we’re friends, right? I also worry about her and I want to be the one to take her home. Maybe, just to make sure that she’s safe? Do I feel responsible for her safety?

I don’t know. I just feel like, at the end of the day, everything’s better when I could make sure that she’s home safe. That I’ll be the one who would take her home, that I could see her enter her home safely. 

“You’re spacing out.” Bahagya akong nagulat nang biglang magsalita si Thana. 

“Y-Yeah. May naiisip lang.” depensa ko naman. I licked my lips and cleared my throat so I could focus on driving.