9. Long Cut

The Halloween decorations had disappeared and were suddenly replaced with items for Christmas

The Halloween decorations had disappeared and were suddenly replaced with items for Christmas. He never knew how Courtney snuck it in, but he found something new every day in his parlor.

Miles absentmindedly was turning a snow globe in his hands while reviewing a song on his laptop. Danny was already used to this scenario and was tapping his foot as he was reading through school materials.

When Miles' phone rang, he paused and answered it with a frown.

"Eve, everything ok?"

There was a dramatic sigh on the other line. "No. It's all falling apart, and I need to ask for a favor."

"What kind of favor?"

"Listen, major VIPs are heading to the club. It's a last-minute thing, and they want me to be a part of it. Desmond needs to get Bree tucked in until mom comes to watch her."

Miles raised an eyebrow. "You need someone on the floor." The idea didn't enthuse him.

"Just for a couple of hours. Just walk the floor, watch drunks at the bar, and support the bouncers. Please, it will only be until Desmond gets Bree settled."

He knew Eve hated asking him to do this. He never showed interest in running The Apple, even as a part owner, and they had respected that. 

Eve had always dreamt of a club like The Apple since she was a kid. When they were in college, the three of them would draw up the schematics and business plans to run it. Eve thought it was nothing more than a fantasy, so she accepted her lot in life and planned to waste away in an office.

However, Miles and Desmond wanted to give her her dream. In their fourth year of college, he had one minor hit. It was enough money to help with a down payment for a run-down building in a good location. He didn't tell anyone until the deed was signed. Then he pulled Desmond into the secret. Although Desmond was angry that he would use his money on something like this instead of using it towards the looming debt from hospital bills, he relented and helped Miles start cleaning it up.

They recruited old friends from their neighborhoods when the job became too big. Family own electricians and carpenters joined in to help, as did anyone who owned a hammer.

Miles released another hit and helped pay for lighting and then the bar. The Apple designs were upgraded twice when their budget increased, but it was well worth the costs when they completed it. 

They presented it to Eve on New Year's Day, and after she had threatened their lives for doing something so impractical and financially dangerous, she broke down in tears. After going over their business plan, she insisted that they split The Apple evenly between the three of them.

And so, they all became owners of The Apple, but Miles' job was less stressful than the other two. He just needed to play music. But he knew she was in a tight spot if she had to ask him for help to run the floor. He would never let her down.