10. Lazer

The crowd in The Apple was starting to come down from their adrenaline high

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The crowd in The Apple was starting to come down from their adrenaline high. Alcohol only did so much to disguise the lacking music, and Miles was close to losing his mind. The Apple was the birthplace of Requiem. The Lunar had singers and jazz artists, but The Apple set the bar for DJs. It's what they were known for. This was becoming an embarrassment.

Desmond rushed after Miles, catching his arm. Typically, he wouldn't have an issue with Miles performing; instead, he would welcome it.

"Wait. There's a reason why Eve didn't ask you to DJ, Miles." Desmond said as he caught his arm. "Brian Smith is up there too."

Miles wrinkled his nose with disgust. "Fucking Eclipse?"

"If he sees Requiem, he will hunt you down."

Miles gave a resigned chuckle. "Keep that door locked. No one goes in." He nodded to the stairs. "I trust you guys to head him off after my set is done."

"Fine, but let me coordinate things," Desmond said. They both rushed into the back room and locked the door behind them. Desmond called the stage manager, Jeremy, on speakerphone.

"Jer, I need your help," Desmond said hurriedly.

"Please tell me you're getting rid of this asshole on stage." Jeremy groaned.

"Exactly that. Requiem is going to jump on," Miles jumped in. "Can you fog the stage, and I'll hijack the soundboard to shut down the DJ's feed? I'll kick him off, but we have minutes to set up Requiem's shit. Can we do that?"

"I can do fog and a light show from hell. It'll distract the crowd while we set it up."

"We need to time it perfectly," Desmond said with a tight voice. It was a lot of pressure to switch DJs in only five minutes.

Miles barked orders to the stage manager, and soon everyone was ready with Miles' equipment to switch out.

Miles made his way to the soundboard with a preloaded mix. His hands were on the switches to cut off the DJ's feed. He was going in blind, knowing he could fuck everything up more than it already was, but luckily the DJ was predictable.

Miles cut the feed when a beat hit and immediately weaved in his mix. The music stuttered slightly during the transition, and Miles hissed a curse. It was sloppier than he had hoped for but still smoother than what that DJ was spinning. The stage manager immediately started the fog and light show, obscuring the stage. The cheers from the crowd were an indication that it went decent enough.

Miles ran onto the stage behind the fog. The DJ yelled at the workers who were setting up Miles' equipment. A couple had stood off to the side, trying to explain that he needed to vacate the stage. 

"What the fuck is this shit?" He yelled when he saw Miles approaching.

"You're done for the night," Miles explained. "I need you to pack your stuff."