23. Rev Triplet Transform

Miles glared at the three unaware teenagers eating at his kitchen table

Miles glared at the three unaware teenagers eating at his kitchen table. They were supposed to be gone for hours but returned early for dinner and Netflix. 

What seemed like the perfect night for Miles and Shawn became another rambunctious event when Danny, Courtney, and Rob came home. They were amped from the game they attended and sitting around the table discussing their next outing.  Miles and Shawn were watching them from the couch in the den.

Rob's excited voice sounded, suggesting something Miles didn't pay attention to.

"Bet," Danny answered Rob with a grin. 

Miles leaned closer to Shawn until their arms were pressed against each other. "What the fuck does bet mean? Are they gambling?"

Shawn raised an eyebrow. "You're asking me?"

Miles chuckled. "I feel like I'm a lost cause. Rob said that Danny 'ate that,' but I don't think he was actually eating anything."

Shawn covered his mouth to hide his laugh. "I barely learned what yeet means, and I think that term is already outdated."

"Get this—Danny said something about rizz the other day, and I was so fucking confused. I didn't know if he was talking about a game or a fucking disease. I was way off in my interpretation." Miles groaned. "What happened to perfectly good slang like dope, word, and fresh?"

Shawn hunched over, his shoulders shaking with laughter. He took a steadying breath and gave Miles a grin. "Aren't you in the music world? Shouldn't you know about these terms?"

"You're in the same world, asshole." Miles huffed. "I'm limping along while trying to translate modern English with Urban Dictionary."

"Damn. I didn't think about using that. I've just been pretending I know what they are saying. I smile and nod because I don't want to ask. If I did, I would sound as old as I feel."

"God, these little assholes make me feel like I need my AARP card."

"You're still younger than me."  Shawn nudged him. "I'm about to evolve into my mother. Soon I'll be asking Courtney how to use 'the Facebook.'"

"Bad news, old man. I think the popular social platform is TikTok now."

"What the fuck?" Shawn sunk his head into his hands. "This is why I hire a team specifically for social media. I can't keep up with this shit."

Miles rested his head on Shawn's shoulder. The kids in front of them were utterly oblivious to their proximity. Instead, they continued chatting as they left the kitchen and went up the stairs, presumably to Danny's floor. Shawn and Miles were finally left alone.

Miles sighed, relishing the new silence. 

"I think I understand that Lord of the Rings quote now." Miles tried to change his baritone voice to mimic Bilbo Baggins, "I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread."