17. Push

Miles was still holding onto Shawn's hand as he led him downstairs

Miles was still holding onto Shawn's hand as he led him downstairs. As much as he had been working, his living area was untouched except for his bedroom. Miles flushed a little, realizing he had to bring Shawn to his bedroom to help him. It had been over six months since he had invited another man to his room. 

Not that they would linger in his bedroom... unfortunately. 

Miles groaned, trying to shake out that train of thought. He didn't need to think about Shawn in his bedroom. 

"I'm really alright," he murmured, fighting the intrusive thoughts. 

His forehead had stopped bleeding, and his throat was not as raw. He didn't admit that his shoulder hurt like a motherfucker, and his back was killing him.  

Shawn raised an eyebrow as they walked to his bedroom. "You're wincing every time you take a step."

Fuck. Shawn was right.  

"I'll be alright," he tried again.

"I'll be the judge of that."

Miles shook his head but regretted it immediately. A headache pulsed against his temples, causing him to groan. Instead of arguing, he pulled Shawn through his bedroom to his en suite. 

Don't think about the bedroom. Or the bed. Or Shawn in the bed. 

Miles could feel the heat burning his cheeks as he leaned against the counter in his bathroom. He kept his eyes downcast, afraid that Shawn would see the thoughts running through his head. 

He flinched when he felt Shawn's hand against his forehead. "Do you have a fever?"

"No," Miles' voice cracked. He coughed lightly. "Just... uh... embarrassed about this whole situation."

Shawn's fingers trailed down his cheek to his jaw. Miles closed his eyes and leaned into the touch. 

"Let's just focus on getting you cleaned up. Do you have a first aid kit here?" Shawn said gently. 

Miles pointed to a cabinet behind him. As Shawn looked through it, he called out, "Take off your shirt."

"We haven't even had our first date, and you're trying to get me naked." Miles attempted the joke but immediately regretted it because it skewed his thoughts further down the inappropriate road he was trying to avoid. He buried his face in his hands. 

Inside voices should always remain on the inside, he reminded himself. 

"Just ignore me," he groaned. "Apparently, I'm a mess with no filter today."

Shawn laughed, set the first aid kit on the counter next to him, and then boxed Miles in with his arms. "Maybe next time I'll take you out on that date."

Miles' head jerked up, and he found himself lost in Shawn's gaze. He had known Shawn's eyes were dark, but now he could see they were deep chocolate brown.