36. 3 Forward 3 Back Tear

It was still early in the morning when Miles opened his eyes

It was still early in the morning when Miles opened his eyes. Music played softly, and he was greeted with the smell of coffee and pine from the Christmas tree Danny had insisted on dragging downstairs. A smile stretched across his lips as he saw Shawn walk into the bedroom with two cups of coffee.

Shawn's sweatpants hung low on his hips, and his chest was bare. He clearly woke up a little earlier because his hair was disheveled and his eyes heavy with sleep. But his grin when he saw Miles brightened his demeanor.

"Mornin', darling," Miles said softly, holding his hand out toward him.

Shawn's smile widened, and he set the coffee on the nightstand. He grabbed Miles' hand and let him pull him back into bed.

He kissed Miles' forehead and then his eyes. "You don't call me that nearly often enough," he murmured.

"Darling?" Miles mused and then laughed. "I apologize."

Shawn ran his fingers through Miles' hair, admiring him in the glow of the morning light. He seemed lost in thought until a sigh escaped his lips. "How did I get so lucky?"

Miles felt his cheeks heat up. "You worked hard for your success," he deflected. "Luck didn't have much to do with it."

Shawn pinched his earlobe as punishment. "You know what I meant. How did I get so lucky with you?"

Miles smiled. "Magic." When Shawn chuckled, Miles pouted. "Don't laugh it off, Shawn Pierce. There's magic in the world."

Shawn's laugh tapered off. "Do you truly believe that?"

Miles was contemplative. "Not always. I stopped believing it for a long time. But I think believe it now."

"What changed."

Miles smiled and gave him a chaste kiss. "That's a secret."

He sat up, letting the blankets fall from his chest and pool around his waist. Shawn's hungry eyes drank in his exposed body. Miles grinned. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you're going to make us late."

Shawn huffed out a breath. "You're right. Dammit." He sat up and kissed Miles' shoulder before he got out of bed. He dug through an overnight bag he brought and tossed Miles a pair of plaid pajamas.

Miles looked at the pajamas with a confused look. "What's this?"

"Isn't it obvious? Pajamas."

Miles rolled his eyes. "Yeah, got that. But why are you giving them to me?"

"I have a pair for Danny, too," Shawn shrugged. "Family tradition, remember?"

Miles felt his breath stutter. He appreciated the Pierces inviting him and Danny, but he fully expected to be a spectator of sorts, an outsider. That was the role he always slotted for himself. He never expected to be part of their tradition. He felt his throat tighten and held the pajamas close to his chest. It was a simple gesture, but the meaning behind it was monumental.