6. Crescent Flare

"Are you ready for some insane walking?" Miles asked as he nudged Danny

Danny was obviously nervous and nodded stiffly. He was watching the many people pass him by. There were several guided tours of the campus, but many others were rushing around. "Are we going to join one of those groups?"

Miles grinned. "Only if you want to, but you will hear all the boring stats and historical jargon about the campus. It's interesting, but not the nitty gritty that gets you by."

Danny chuckled. "Ok. Then you're the official tour guide." He checked his phone. "Courtney and Rob are here."

As if on cue, a high-pitched yell sounded behind them. An auburn-haired young woman ran toward Danny and launched herself into a hug. Danny immediately relaxed and caught her, spinning her around. 

It was easy to assume that this was the friend, Courtney.

"Can you believe we're here? Like actually here!"  She jumped up and down excitedly. "We have been dreaming about Columbia for five years now, and here we are."

A young man rushed towards them and hugged Courtney's waist with a grin. Miles noted that he should be Rob. 

"A dream come true." Rob chuckled. "How did you settle in with the asshats?"

Danny rolled his eyes with a groan. "Don't get me started on those assholes."

"You should have just moved in with us. I don't think you're one to tolerate those guys. They just want to join a frat and drink their way to graduation on their dad's dime."  Courtney rolled her eyes. 

"They're awful. I don't know how you'll get any studying done with those leeches." Rob frowned. 

"About that," Danny shifted on his feet nervously. "It kind of fell through."

The air shifted between Courtney and Rob, becoming protective. "What did they do?" Rob asked darkly. 

Danny glanced at Miles for reassurance and sighed. "Took my deposit and kicked me out before I moved in."

"I'm going to rip their balls off!" Courtney fumed while stomping her foot. "That settles it. You're moving in with us!"

"I—" Danny attempted to explain his situation but was cut off by both of them.

"Don't fight us. You want your independence, and we got a spare room." Rob said. 

"And we know how hard you worked on that deposit, so you don't have to pay rent until you're back on your feet," Courtney added. "Just help us with our homework."

Miles stood back with his arms crossed. A small smile pulled at his lips because he had to admire their friendship and tenacity. They were good people, and he was happy Danny found his small tribe, who protected him fiercely. Everyone needed a group like this. He had it with Eve and Desmond, and now Danny had it with his friends.