21. Triplet Transform

Miles followed Shawn from the parking garage to the large highrise with the sleek Aura sign

Miles followed Shawn from the parking garage to the large highrise with the sleek Aura sign. He hesitated for a moment before he entered. He had tried to walk into this building eight years ago before he signed any other DJs but lost his confidence when he saw how elegant everyone looked inside the building. He convinced himself that he was not good enough for Aura. 

But now, Aura's CEO was leading him through the doors. He calmed his trembling heart and straightened his shoulders. Shawn slowed his steps so they were shoulder to shoulder, and he gave him a soft smile. 

However, Miles didn't know if he should be dazzled by his smile or in awe of the lobby. It was industrial, with polished cement floors and bronze accents. Because the large arched windows were heavily tinted, a soft light illuminated the area from the contemporary chandelier hanging in the center. It didn't have a feeling of a busy entertainment building. Instead, it had the characteristics of a spa.

"Have you been here before?" Shawn's quiet voice drew his attention away from the decor.

"A long time ago, but it looked a lot different then."

Shawn nodded and placed a hand on Miles' lower back to lead him to the elevators. "I recently had the lobby redone. It was one of the last things I considered, surprisingly. Most of my budget was spent on recording studios, movies, and development for my artists."

Miles laughed to himself and shook his head.

"What?" Shawn asked as they entered the elevator. He pressed a button for the top floor.

"I just remember you telling me once that Aura was nothing big," Miles said as he leaned against the elevator wall, giving Shawn a once-over. "Your pride and joy had truly blossomed. This is amazing."

That old sheepish smile from 12 years ago found its way back on Shawn's face. "Well, it wasn't without its bumps and bruises."

Shawn's phone buzzed with a notification, and he calmly read the message before sending off a reply. 

"I'm going to grab a file from my office. My assistant, Jules, will be at her desk. If you need anything, you can ask her. Even if you want a tour."

Miles was a little surprised. "You're giving me free rein of the place?"

"Don't worry. I hid all of my secrets away." Shawn flashed him a wink, and the doors opened to a large open space.

Miles exited the elevator and found himself surrounded by windows overlooking Manhattan. It was different from the offices he had been to before because all the walls were glass, giving a sense of transparency. Miles ignored the conference room on one corner and turned towards the posh-looking office on the other end. It seemed comfortable as if it was a place to make someone feel at ease, which fit Shawn's aesthetic perfectly.  

However, his attention was stolen by the grand piano in the lobby next to the windows. It gleamed under the natural light, beckoning to him. 

"Wow," Miles murmured. "My office is the fucking kitchen table."