13. Rev Ex-Stab

Miles had made sure that Danny and the others had calmed down

Miles had made sure that Danny and the others had calmed down. They were still tense about the kitchen fire despite his constant reminders that it was nothing. Everything he had told them was from experience. He had started many of his own fires and had to put them out.

When his mom got sick, he tried his hardest to care for her—working, cleaning, and cooking. He did everything possible to make her life easier.

She was a teacher at the local elementary school, but it hardly paid the bills, which is why he made the extra effort. He knew she picked up a couple of odd jobs at the diner and convenience store on the corner. She tried to hide her pain and weakness most of the time, but Miles could see it eating away at her.

Miles would buy extra groceries or try to pay the small bills he could find. He would even buy his mom gifts, even moving an old piano into the house. Any money left over, he would give to her. He hoped that she would use it for the other various bills. Every little bit helped. However, when she was out one day, he found the box where she stored his extra earnings. Not a single penny was spent.

Miles remembered how he sat on the cold floor of their tiny apartment, clutching that box to his chest. He wanted to be angry that she never spent the money. He wanted to scream and cry because he felt so helpless.

However, he put the box where he had found it, plastered on a smile, and greeted her warmly when she came home. He never brought it up to her.

When her cancer hit her hard, she was hospitalized with no chance of ever leaving. Still, he didn't dip into those funds. He kept struggling and working tirelessly, trying to care for her. 

He held on to that box but didn't open it until a year after her passing. He found that she had nestled a small journal in the box next to the meager amount of cash. It took him another couple of months to open the journal to find her handwriting. 

She filled it with life lessons, reasons why she had her favorite songs, precious memories, and her hopes for him in the future. She had also explained that she saved his earnings for his wedding when he found his true love. He had never considered getting married, but he still hung on to that box filled with crumpled cash and her journal.

"Miles," Courtney interrupted his train of thought. "My cousin was coming over to pick us up. I can tell him to delay because you worked hard on dinner."

Miles smiled. "If your cousin doesn't mind, I can make an extra portion. He can stay for dinner. I have meant to thank him for helping care for you hellions."

Courtney beamed and jumped on her toes. "Really? I always wanted you two to meet! I'll call him now!"

Miles' brow creased from her enthusiasm but shrugged and continued to cook. He glanced over to Danny, who was watching him curiously.

"What are you looking at?" Miles asked.

Danny gave a sheepish grin. "I'm surprised by how domesticated you act sometimes."