28. O.G. Flare

Memories of a darker time clouded Miles' vision as he gripped the phone tightly

Memories of a darker time clouded Miles' vision as he gripped the phone tightly. The man who shot him, threatened him, and murdered his friends was silent on the other line. His tumultuous emotions flitted between anger and fear.

He had tried to bury the memories of the screams and bloodshed when he had buried his friends. Now they echoed in his mind louder than ever.

"Trickshot came to the club and offered to do a set. My club manager decided to allow him to go on," Jay finally said.

"That doesn't make any sense. Why allow an impromptu act?"

"Because of you."

Miles felt a chill run up his spine. "I don't understand."

Jay let out a frustrated sound as if trying to find his words. "Listen. Your name carries weight. So, if one of your DJs comes through my doors and asks to play, my people will give them a stage. That's exactly what my club manager did when Trickshot showed up," Jay started. "At first, I was going to have my manager call you because I thought it was disrespectful not to inform you beforehand. But then he started his set, and I was compelled to call you myself."

Miles released a shuddering breath, afraid of Jay's implications. "Fuck."

"I'm sorry, Miles, but you should come down and get him. He's not in the right state of mind."

Miles shook his head. This conversation was throwing him off-kilter. Jay, a notorious gangster, was being mild-mannered and polite. Hell, he even was looking out for Miles.

"You understand why I am having difficulty believing you, right?" Miles said, his voice louder than he intended. "Do you need a reminder of the last time we saw each other? Christ. Ice doesn't hold the most pleasant memories either."

"I know, Miles. You have no reason to trust me. But this was important enough to make me call you despite our past."

Miles hated that he sounded sincere. "I don't know if what Trickshot is doing is worth the risk."

"If you come down here, we're just talking. Nothing more. No weapons. No surprises." Jay sighed. "Hell, if it makes you feel better, you can come here strapped. You won't get any bullshit from me."

Miles faltered. "You can't fault me for not trusting you."

"You have my word, Miles. You know, out of all the horrible shit I've done, at least I'm true to my word."

"Goddamnit," Miles groaned. As fucked up as it was, it was true. "I'll be there in a bit. Don't make me fucking regret this."

He hung up the phone before Jay could say anything else. When he turned back to the group, he was greeted with concerned stares.

"We're going to Ice?" Flux asked.

"No." Miles' voice was unnaturally firm. "You will not go anywhere near that goddamn place."