39. Boom Flare

Miles' leg bounced as he sat in the makeup chair

Miles' leg bounced as he sat in the makeup chair. There were many people around him shouting orders and getting him ready.

"I don't need to do much," Natalie, the makeup artist, said. "I'll keep you looking natural but will take away any shine."

"Thanks," he said. He was afraid they would try to dress him up to the point he was unrecognizable. 

"Do you know what you're wearing?" She asked.

Miles looked down at his outfit. "Is this not good enough?"

Natalie's nose wrinkled. "A T-shirt and jeans?"

"I guess I was too nervous that I didn't think about it. I have no idea what I'm wearing," Miles said with a strained chuckle.

Shawn came into the room carrying a clothing bag, overhearing their conversation. "I grabbed a few things from your closet. I hope you don't mind."

Miles grinned. "Not at all. I didn't even notice you did."

"You were a bit distracted this morning." Shawn hung the clothes on a rack and turned toward him with a smile. "How are you feeling now?"

"Like I'm going to vomit," Miles said with a tight smile. "Like Exorcist projectile vomit. Why did I agree to this?"

Shawn approached him and carefully threaded his fingers in his hair. "It's the right thing to do because you're an amazing man, and no one should make you feel less than that. The world deserves to know the person I know and love." 

Miles sighed. "I love you, too."

A squeak of surprise reminded them they weren't alone. They turned to see Natalie covering her mouth, trying to hide the smile plastered on her face. "Sorry!" She mustered out. 

Shawn chuckled. "This isn't a live recording, and Felix won't bite." His phone rang, and he sighed. "I'm so sorry. I have to take this. You'll be alright?"

"I'm in good hands with Natalie," Miles reassured him. He hoped he didn't sound as nervous as he felt. 

Shawn looked him over to ensure he was telling the truth. He sighed and kissed his forehead. "I'll be right back."

He answered the phone while walking out the door, looking back at Miles one last time. 

"So," Natalie started, "You and Mr. Pierce?"

"Yeah. Me and Shawn." Miles smiled but didn't provide more information.

She checked over his makeup real quick and gave a satisfied nod. "I have worked at Aura for years and refuse to leave. That's because of the people I work with and the man I work for. Everyone here looks up to Mr. Pierce. Sure, he's usually intimidating, but he's created a culture at Aura that makes us feel like family. More importantly, he takes care of all of us."

"He's a good man," Miles agreed with her. It was something he could tell Shawn always cared about his people.

"He is," she seemed hesitant about her following words. "So, it always baffled me why he never had a real relationship. I even suspected he sabotaged his romantic prospects, but I never knew why. He never seemed to truly care about the people walking in and out of his life, but we could see the loneliness building around him. We were spectators, and it was heartbreaking to watch. He deserves the very best."