44 ~ Sciamachy

Sciamachy
noun
A battle against imaginary enemies; fighting your shadow

SciamachynounA battle against imaginary enemies; fighting your shadow

Riley bounces through the jetway leading us to our aircraft. She's practically buzzing with electric energy even though it's just a few minutes after seven o'clock in the morning.

Yeah, another early morning flight. I don't get it. Don't Australian airports operate in the afternoon? What's up with that?

Riley spent the night with me at Danny and Rathi's so she could leave Baby with them for the next couple of days. The atmosphere was a bit strained between my girl and Danny. I couldn't blame them. They haven't really spoken in days when they should have. I'm not about forcing anyone to talk about their feelings, but the two really should. They are in the same boat, more or less.

Now, we're going to spend a couple days down in Sydney hitting several birds with one stone together with Curtis and Harry.

Curtis is a cultural guy and wants to go sightseeing – apparently there's things you have to see and do when you're in Australia. With Harry's help, his contacts in the Surf League, and based on her former success, Riley acquired a wildcard position for the challenger event at Manly Beach. Since the qualifying series for next year's championship has been running since last April and ends this month, this challenger was the only opportunity left to compete professionally this year. She's the absolute underdog in this event and nerves and tension are more than apparent on her face and in her body language.

I've never seen her this way.

Her lip is red and puffy from her gnawing on it, she's jerking at every sudden noise and I caught her nibbling at her thumb's cuticle more than once. I don't think she's ever been the underdog. In anything.

Now, after finding her seat and buckling up, she bounces her knee while looking out the window, watching how workers load luggage into the plane.

I lay my hand on her jumping knee. "Relax, Crabby."

She inhales sharply, turning her head. "I can't. Believe me, I'm trying. This is not me. But once I'm on my board tomorrow I'll be fine." Her lips twitch before she turns back to watch the people outside. She sighs, her shoulders relaxing visibly when she sees her neatly wrapped and labeled surfboard on a baggage car.

I snort a laugh, shaking my head when she slumps down in her seat.

"Shut up, seppo," Riley grumbles. "My board is my instrument."

That makes me only laugh more. Leaning over, I kiss her cheek. "I'm just messing with you."

"Mmh-hmm."

Harry and Curtis noisily stumble down the alley, finding their respective seats a row behind ours. The two just met a week ago and have been inseparable best buddies ever since. They're already planning a camping trip in Colorado's vast National Forests next year.