11 ~ Thalassophile

Thalassophile
noun
A lover of the sea, someone who loves the sea or ocean.

ThalassophilenounA lover of the sea, someone who loves the sea or ocean

The next morning, I wake up later than usual. The clock on my phone shows seven thirty.

Groaning and stretching my arms over my head, I sit up and twist my upper body. My back pops and my slow, lazy movements cause Baby to wake up too. She's lazy and I'm pretty sure she hates me for getting up early every day.

"Come on, girl," I whisper to my dog so I wouldn't wake my two snoozing cuddle buddies who stayed with me yesterday instead of going home because they were too tired to drive fifteen more minutes to our mom's place. My dog yawns and performs a flawless downward facing dog before shaking it off and trotting after me.

I open the front door so she can head out for business before making myself a cup of coffee. It's Sunday and the only day I don't take any students. I should though. If I wanted I could charge more for the lessons, could take on more students and make a lot more money. My mom always chides me for living alone in a little rundown cabin in the middle of nowhere. She doesn't understand why I won't pursue a more successful career path. But I can't imagine changing anything let alone moving because I love what I do and where I am.

Baby scarves down her breakfast in the kitchen as I step outside with my sugary coffee and a bowl of even more sugary fruit loops and sit down on the little porch. There's quite the breeze going today and I'd bet my trusty truck that the waves are perfect at Tweed Hill, the beach at Danny and Rathi's place. Gnawing on my bottom lip, I finish my breakfast and head inside. Leaving the used dishes in the sink, I stuff a towel, sunscreen, and a change of clothes into my old wet bag and put on a red bathing suit as well as an oversized t-shirt that covers my ass and therefor doubles as a dress and slide into my tan-colored Birkenstocks. On my way to the door, I remember another little something, and stuff it into my bag too.

There's a priceless advantage to a small living space because I'm out of it in under forty minutes and load my bag, board and dog in my truck and drive off to the beach.

Ten minutes later, I park my truck on the gravel in front of the white bungalow and leave the keys in the ignition. Baby and I approach the front door and that's when I realize that I forgot my phone and keys at home and that the door is locked. I was going to 'park' Baby inside the cooler house before heading down to the beach because there's usually no shade and the sand's getting too hot too quickly. But now I find myself contemplating what to do.

Biting my lip again, I knock twice. Maybe Rathi's awake already. I really don't want to wake them. It's still early and I know Rathi can't go to bed unless she at least tidied up and put the used glasses away. That's where we are different. She's a clean freak and I'm... well, let's say I tend to "collect" my dishes by the sink until it overflows.

Sighing, I snag a hair tie from my wrist and gather my hair in a ponytail when the door is being pulled open, revealing a very sleepy and confused looking Mason while I'm still mid-ponytail-making. His hair is still braided with some wild, stray strands sticking out in every direction. He looks as if he rolled and tossed around in bed last night. He rubs his eyes and yawns audibly to wake up his brain. And shit, I hope he wakes up quickly, because he's only wearing a pair of slate, snug fitting boxer briefs that cling dangerously low to his hips and thighs and do a shit job of... yup! That's the outline of his dick.