10 ~ Bumfuzzle

bumfuzzle
(adj.)
confused, perplexed

With my stomach stuffed to the brim with the tastiest stew and sticky rice in probably all Queensland and New South Wales combined, I sit on the floor and lean my back against the couch cushion, cradling Baby's curled-up body between my legs, her ...

With my stomach stuffed to the brim with the tastiest stew and sticky rice in probably all Queensland and New South Wales combined, I sit on the floor and lean my back against the couch cushion, cradling Baby's curled-up body between my legs, her big dog head heavy on my thigh.

By the time I downed my second beer, I was glad I didn't cancel after all. Even though I knew Mason was going to be here, I wanted to spend time with all my friends. It's rare that all seven of us get together like this and now that I'm two beers and I-forgot-to-count shots in, we're on the best way to making this the funniest evening in a very long time.

Mason's presence doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, and I honestly don't know if it's the alcohol running through my veins or that little piece of new information that he's a fellow veggie that has my stony, stubborn heart warming up to him – making me more willing to forgive him. I know.

Taking two more shots from Joe, I pass one on to Chase who's sitting on the couch behind me and currently massages my scalp. He quickly chucks it back before continuing his movements and I blame the buzz I've got going on for the moan that escapes my throat because I swear he's got magical massage hands.

Several heads snap to me and it's quiet for a moment before we all splutter laughing. My brother even rolls off the couch and lays his head on my other thigh while I chug back the shot. Gosh, I hope he didn't drink because he was supposed to give me a ride. I try to tone down the noises though and only hum my approval when Chase moves on to my neck and shoulders.

"Why are you tensing up every time this long-haired hottie looks over here?" Chase asks, leaning down to speak quietly in my ear.

"I'm not."

"Oh, you are, Blue," Luke confirms, amused brows lifting in his forehead.

Has my little buzz made me so obvious? Mason has looked over at me a couple times, looking like he was deep in thoughts. I hope he doesn't hurt his head. How does he manage to make a sunburn look good?

Divert. "Aren't you jealous that your boyfriend calls some other guy 'hottie'?" I meme a gag but Chase only chortles a laugh.

"Not when that guy's clearly straight and interested in a girl who's sitting on the floor."

"Mmh-hmm." I'm sure they will revert to the topic of me allegedly tensing up, so I scramble to my feet, pushing Luke and Baby off my legs and busy myself with collecting empty and unoccupied glasses before stumbling to the kitchen, hating that my ability to walk properly is closely connected to my alcohol intake. But at least I can still think straight, right?

In the kitchen, I shove everything into the dishwasher. Mason was not looking over at me that often. Why would he? Was he? Oh God, I need another drink.