18 ~ Forelsket

Forelsket
noun
The euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

Danny had offered to let me drive his car a couple times so I could finally get used to driving on the wrong- excuse me, other side

Danny had offered to let me drive his car a couple times so I could finally get used to driving on the wrong- excuse me, other side. I still think it's uncanny, but I'm good with both hands and I think I can manage. So I got a long-term shiny silver rental yesterday to get around on my own and don't have to rely on Danny driving my ass around anymore.

To avoid being stuck in that micro space in Danny's backseat, I offered to be designated driver for our mini-trip to Gold Coast for New Year's Eve. And even though I'm already behind the steering wheel and parked in front of Danny and Rathi's bungalow, Riley is the first to arrive. Upon seeing the polished car with me on the driver's side, I can see her rolling her eyes to the sky while getting out of her old as balls truck. She has a small backpack slung over her shoulder as well as a garment bag over her arm. After storing everything in the trunk, she slides into the sport seat next to me.

"Hi."

"Hey." I reply with a smug grin.

"Couldn't you get a flashier car?" She adds a second eye roll to her sarcastic statement.

I'm distracted from giving a cocky reply when the red wrap skirt she's wearing slips open high on her thigh. I wet my lips and try to swallow the sudden dryness in my throat when a knock on my window makes me jump and I'm met with Rathi's wide flawlessly white smile.

She gets in behind me, a second later Danny closes the trunk and climbs into the seat behind Riley, and off we go.

"Where is Baby?" I ask, marveling at the deep purr of the motor beneath us. That's the stuff. "It's rare seeing you without her."

"Remember Emma and her mom, Sonya?" Her elbow rests on the edge of the window and she doesn't look at me.

I make a noise to tell her yes, but she doesn't elaborate and it's fine because driving onto the highway, I really need to concentrate on driving. After a while, Riley twists in her seat so she can talk to the two in the back, leaving me out of the conversation entirely.

It's not a long drive up to Gold Coast and halfway through it, Riley gasps and leans even further to the back, speaking to Rathi in a hushed tone. But I hear it anyway. "I forgot to bring something. Do you think we could go to... that shop you told me about?"

"I think Danny would love it if I did," Rathi whispers with amusement, doing a little shimmy in her seat.

Looking in the rearview mirror, I see Danny laughing to himself and shaking his head.

Fifty minutes later, Danny directs me to steer the car into the underground parking garage of a large apartment complex. Getting out, Riley and Rathi immediately head off to go buy whatever Riley forgot to bring while Danny guides me up to their place. The condo Danny and Rathi inhabit in Gold Coast is smaller than the house in Connor Head, but the vibe is similar. Floor to ceiling windows make it bright and the white furniture is accented with wooden elements and modern touches of steel. It's more lived-in, has an actual entertainment system and I even see video games.