A [Short] Journey Will Begin

3 months later

"(Y/N), you have to check this out!"

You looked up from the pineappa pizza that laid in front of you to see Subaru holding a newspaper.

About nine months ago, you and Subaru invented the printing press, and newspapers were one thing that came along with this invention. It took this world a little while to grow accustomed to them, but by now, there was already a delivery system in place to spread important news everywhere.

Swallowing the bite that was already in your mouth, you asked, "What's up?"

"Have your bagpipes become a phenomenon that is already despised by the people of this world?" Omega, who was the only other one at the table, sarcastically added. She was not a big fan of the instrument, and she called it 'noise that not even the tone-deaf Emilia could emulate.'

Subaru stopped for a moment as if he was unsure of how to relay the information. "You know what," he said with a suddenly grave tone, "just read this."

He handed you the newspaper and pointed at the headline. Omega looked over your shoulder and looked genuinely impressed as she read the words out loud.

"Last night, the Astrea territory was attacked by an unknown assailant. Fifty houses are reported to be destroyed, with over two hundred Lugnican citizens reported as dead or missing. According to an anonymous source in this territory, the Sword Saint engaged the perpetrator in combat after ten seconds of destruction, but the result of the battle is unknown.

It is difficult to believe that the Astrea territory was attacked, and even more shocking is the lack of identification of the person - or thing - behind this cruel slaughter. When approached about this situation, Heinkel van Astrea, the owner of the land, stated, "Don't ask me. My son's the one who did the fighting, all right?! If he and that girl of his messed up, don't come to me asking questions- Eh? This is going in the papers? I don't give a crap! In fact, put all of this in there!"

The Lugnica Times has been unable to contact Reinhard van Astrea about this matter, but it is reported that the Sword Saint addressed the surviving people of the land about the attack. According to sources, he apologized for not being more prompt, and when confronted about the identity of the attacker, he evaded the question and claimed that there would not be a repeat of this disastrous event, and that the Astrea territory would never see the aggressor again.

With this oddly cryptic answer not satisfying some, it has been speculated that perhaps the Blue Lightning of Vollachia was behind this attack, as the Sword Saint has narrowly defeated him before, and he could have possibly come back to extract revenge. Other theorists claim that the Witch Cult was behind this, and even more radical individuals claim that The Crusaders were behind this and staged an attack in order to gain sympathy and extract more funds from the public.

Whatever the true answer may be, the deaths and destruction is unforgivable, and may the Kingdom of Lugnica bring this person to justice."

As Omega finished reading the article out loud, there was a dead silence hanging in the room.

"Well," Omega noted without a hint of care, "it would have been a very good idea to implement 'Witch Cult' attacks of our own in order to spur funding. These radical theorists may be more intelligent than they are given credit for, as even I had not rationalized that idea."

"Don't you dare to even joke about that!" Subaru exclaimed with disappointment. "First off, nobody should joke about people dying, because death is nothing close to being funny! Second off, our ally is in huge trouble, and to make this even better, people are starting to come up with stupid theories that put us in a bad light! You know all too well that I like to make jokes, but this is just too far!"