Imminent Failure

Subaru woke up in the very same place that he had died at. "This respawn point better be pretty far back, or else I'm never going to get out of this loop without something crappy happening."

He sluggishly lifted his legs off of the bed, and slid off of the mattress. For a moment, he just laid on the floor, not wanting to get up.

This was interrupted when there was a knock on his door. He bolted up, and answered, "Who is it?"

"It is Rem. May I come in?"

He sighed. "Sure. Why not?"

Rem opened the door, not a hint of fatigue coating her figure. "Good morning Subaru! Do you have any plans for today?" Her voice was sweet, but it didn't affect Subaru.

"Before I answer that, how many days have we been here?" He really hoped that it wasn't too late to change anything, or he would have to take some drastic measures.

"We have been here for six days. Why?" Rem answered, cocking her head to he side in confusion.

Subaru's eyes went wide. He staggered, and almost went for the sword under his bed when Rem started laughing. "Why are you laughing!?" Subaru demanded. This was a worst-case scenario, and Rem didn't seem to have a care in the world.

Rem covered her mouth to suppress the giggles. "I am sorry, but that was a joke. We have only been here for three days." Her grin stretched so that not even her hands could cover it up, but Subaru was experiencing a different emotion.

Anger. 

He had almost killed himself because of a joke. This was not funny, but there would be no way for Rem to understand that, so he just sighed. Rem was special; no matter what she did, it was really hard to stay angry with her.

"Don't scare me like that, okay? I nearly died because of that joke." Subaru pretended to be his usual self, and it completely fooled Rem.

"Noted." Rem replied, that being all that she could get through her wide grin. 

Subaru remembered Rem's question, so he answered it. "Actually, there's something very  important that I need to tell you." He walked to her, and put his hands on Rem's shoulders, and she took a small intake of air. She looked in his eyes expectantly, wondering what he was going to say next.

"Rem, the Witch Cult is going to attack Roswaal's mansion and the village in three days. We need to leave now so that we can save them."

Rem's face was one of confusion mixed with anger. "The Witch Cult?! Are you sure?"

Her doubt hurt Subaru, since she was the only one that he thought that he could currently rely on, but he kept on talking. "Yes. I know for sure that they will attack Emilia in three days, so we need to get going. Now." His voice turned harsh at the end, which worried Rem.

"Subaru-kun, we should ask Crusch-sama for hel-"

"NO!" he exclaimed. "She won't help us. Nobody will help us, so we need to go alone." He turned his gaze down, and his expression was hard to decipher. It looked like he was angry, but it also looked like he was going to cry. 

"Subaru, you need to follow Emilia-sama's orders! She told you to stay here and focus on healing, and I agree! Healing must take priority now." It hurt Rem to argue with him, but she felt like it was necessary. 

Subaru looked up. "Rem, we're the only ones that can take Emilia's side."

This statement hurt Rem, who gave up on arguing. "Ok. We need to Crusch-sama of our departure immediately. After that, we need to find a carriage to ride on."