The Dark Path Begins

When Subaru finally came back to the manor, the sun was beginning to set. Feeling fatigued because of his brief time in the pool, along with the mental stress that comes with planning something huge, Subaru yawned.

It was contagious, as Rem also let out a cute yawn before being interrupted by Crusch herself. "Natsuki Subaru, would you mind joining me for a bit?"

She stepped out from her position above the stairs, and her attire surprised both Subaru and Rem. She was wearing a black dress and a pink shawl, much more vulnerable than her usual uniform.

"You're Crusch, right?" asked Subaru. He was tired, and wasn't sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him, as the figure in front of him did not look like the Crusch that he knew.

"Oh yes, I suppose that you haven't seen me out of business attire before." She paused, and looked out of a window. "The breeze is pleasantly cool tonight. It is a perfect night to share a drink as we gaze at the setting sun."

Subaru scratched his hair and proceeded to look at Rem. "Why not?" he said. He lowered his voice, and told Rem, "Sorry, but it looks like I'm going to leave you for the rest of tonight. Good night."

"Good night," she whispered, affection apparent to anybody who would have heard her. Well, except for Subaru.

A few minutes later, Crusch and Subaru are sitting in a balcony on the second floor, the sunset blazing red in the distance, the wind cooling the air to a perfect temperature. It truly was the best time to enjoy some company outside.

Crusch pulled out a drink, and started pouring it into her glass. When she offered Subaru some, he responded with, "Sorry, but I can't drink alcohol." He lowered his gaze, not really sure how to act.

She set the drink down. "Well, you are welcome to drink water instead. I won't be drinking enough to get drunk." She poured him some water, and passed the fancy cup.

They did the 'clink' thing with their cups, and proceeded to drink out of them.

Crusch had a satisfied look on her face. To start the conversation, she asked, "How goes the healing of your gate?"

Subaru cringed at the memories of Felix 'healing' his gate. 'Nyaaaa! Nyan! Nya! Nyoow!'

He shuddered one more time after remembering it. "Well... It goes, I guess." An embarrassed look crept on his face, but Crusch took no notice.

"Well, Felix is excellent with healing magic. You can trust him." She took another sip of her drink, enjoying every last drop of it.

"You look like you always have something going on too, Crusch-san." Subaru commented, hoping that he could get her to say anything that he could use for tomorrow's negotiations.

"In response to a certain occurrence, my family is currently gathering people and objects. Plus, since the word of the Royal Election spread, I've received proposals every day. I'm pretty sure the other candidates have as well."

Since Subaru had already heard this from Anastasia, he wasn't shocked. Instead, he only thought that he would track down anybody who dared propose to Emilia. 

"Oh yeah, that would make sense. All of you are single..."

Crusch leaned on her elbow. "Does that bother you?" she asked suggestively.

Subaru turned his head away from her. "Not really. It's just that... o-oh yeah! I heard that Wilhelm has a beautiful wife!" (Y/N) hadn't told Subaru about Wilhelm's past, so he still thinks that Wilhelm's wife is alive.

Crusch narrowed her eyes, her tone no longer playful. "You are aware that Wilhelm serves me, correct?"

Subaru, confused, asked, "Huh? Why?"