23

Blair's POV

A hand on my shoulder startled me awake.

There in front of me stood the same doctor that told me about Sawyer's situation yesterday. I recognized him because of his slightly mismatched eyes. One was a darker shade of brown than the other.

His actions brought me back to reality and away from his eyes.

"Is Sawyer alright?" I jumped to my feet all too fast, nearly knocking him down in the process.

"Calm down, Ms. ..." he trailed off.

"McAllister." I filled in.

No way I was going to start using my parents surname, even though it sounded a lot cooler.

"I'm David." he extended his hand and I shook it, then looked at him expectantly.

"Mr. Nightly just woke up. He's asking, no, demanding to see you. He can be very aggressive." David rubbed his arm as if trying to shake off the memory.

Then I remembered Sawyer's bare hands. If David wasn't freaking out it's because Sawyer simply punched him and not pressed his palm against flesh.

"So can I go see him?" I shifted uneasily, probably the nerves.

"Of course, that's why I'm here for. Follow me." David started walking and I followed him.

On the way there I fixed my pony tail and rubbed my face, straightened my clothing and took deep breaths. I can't break down in front of him. I can't.

"Here you are. Please make sure he doesn't try to rip out the IV again." David winced and left me at the door.

Slowly, I opened the door to the white room.

Sawyer was glaring at the window, looking rather annoyed with the world. Apart from that he looked to be recovering fast.

He turned to snap at me but then notice who I was and tried to stand up.

"Don't." I hurried to his side and pushed him back to the bed. "Be a good boy and don't try to give me another heart attack."

I managed to calm him down and took off my glove and put it on his hand. I have no idea where his are.

"The doctor said you'll be out of here in a couple of days."

When he didn't comment I finally looked at his eyes.

There was worry, love and... guilt?

"Blair... I'm sorry. I let you down."

Alright, I was so not expecting that.

"What nonsense is that?"

"It's true. You couldn't been hurt and I let myself get stabbed. This is the second time and by the same guy. I can't protect you anymore I'm useless. You need to find someone else." he looked at the floor.

"What the hell has gotten into you? I'm not looking for anyone else. I don't need protection, I can take care of myself. And I thought we were over these whole 'I'm-your-guardian' thing. You're more than that Sawyer and you know it. Just because someone took a swing at your ego doesn't make you any less of what you already are. God, I want to punch you!" and I threw my arms around him, tears falling down like a waterfall.

So much for not breaking down in front of him.

"I love you so much, Sawyer. Don't you ever play dead on me again. Ever."

After a second of hesitation he wrapped his arms around me.

"Sorry."

We stayed that way for a while. Just feeling his warm skin, the way his chest rises and falls gave reason to smile. Nothing was ever going to happen to him.