40. Stay with me

VERY VERY IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END! SO IMPORTANT THAT I'M CAPSLOCKING NOW AHHH.

Seriously, go read it. And don't forget to listen to the song on the side!

April’s POV

“Please, you’re our last chance! Are you sure you haven’t seen her?”

“No, I haven’t. Why?”

Silence.

“She… Um, a car… She was hit by a police car a few days ago.”

“Oh my God!”

“Yeah, but, the thing is that we literally can’t find her. There is... blood, but her body is nowhere to be found--“

“Excuse me.”

“Harry, wait!”

Silence.

“I’m very sorry to hear that, but unfortunately no, I haven’t seen her. I’ll keep you updated though.”

“…”

“Thanks.”

My whole body felt numb. I flinched when I heard a door closing, causing multiple parts of my being to wince in pain. My eyelids fluttered and the light blinded me, but just as I was intending to bring my hand in front of my eyes, a sudden pain erupted in my right arm.

“Ah!” I groaned, falling out of some bed sheets and landing on the ground. Apparently, the couch I had been placed on wasn’t that wide.

“Oh, no!”

Suddenly, I felt myself lifted off the ground, as someone helped me sit back on the couch. I followed with my eyes the arms holding me until I saw a face.

“Daniel? Wha--“ I began, but he cut me off when a yawn escaped my mouth.

“Shh, there’s nothing to worry about. “he whispered, gently bringing the blanket back to my body.

“But--“

“Go back to sleep.”

His voice was so soothing, that I decided he was right. My eyes closed again and I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Soon, I found myself in a world of police sirens hurting my ears and spotlights pointed at me in large rooms, or the opposite of them; a dark, small place, with the torturing silence swallowing me. I also saw doctors… and hospital rooms.

I kept waking up and falling back to sleep for several times, always fighting to remember why I should get up, but I was soon giving up and persuading myself that whatever it was, it could wait.

Once, I woke up breathing heavily and crying, calling Daniel’s name.

“Wh-where am I?” I managed to stutter between the sobs, while Daniel was holding me with worry.

“You’re safe, honey.” he’d whisper, brushing his lips on my forehead; that would make me cry more.

“What happened?!”

“You almost had a car accident.” he whispered reassuringly, not really answering to my questions, but I was too hysterical to notice.

“What happened to--” I began, but he cut me off.”

“I won’t let anyone hurt you. But you have to stay here, otherwise they’ll find out”

“Find out what?” I continued, as my body was shaking.