Chapter 28 - Flashback

Near the end of football season 2013

He finally got the ball on his feet. First he kicked it with his right foot then when he reached it again he kicked it with his left.

"The ball passes to Oxlade- Chamberlain, who rushes from the right. Valencia is on his way,"

 Alex couldn't hear the announcer but he could imagine what he would say. He'd seen Valencia coming. He picked up his speed and sent the ball right between Valcenia's legs, a nutmeg if he'd ever seen one. Alex was headed towards the center when the next defender came along. He pushed the ball a little further and he moved his body as to seem that he would move towards the right again but he faked it and shook the opponent. Alex looked up to see his teammate on the other side of the field being open and ready to score. The young player quickly prepared and made his deep pass.

"Valencia is back on Chamberlain's trail. Chamberlain sees Walcott and passes the ball." The announcer gasps but Alex doesn't hear him. He can't even imagine him doing so. He can only concentrate on the crack he heard while falling down.

"Walcott gets the ball while his teammate stays on the ground and he shoots and HE SCORES!!!" the announcer yells.

"That's 2-3 for Arsenal on 83. Walcott gives a breath of relief to all the arsenal fans, as he gives arsenal the lead and takes his team one step closer to the cup. Only 7 minutes plus the extra time for this finals to be over and for the winner to be announced."

The second announcer interrupts the first one. "What do we have there, John?"

"It seems like Oxlade- Chamberlain after his beautiful assist is still on the ground. Let's watch the clip again."

On the clip it could be seen the Valencia came from behind placed his foot to Alex's left leg just under the knee. That sent Alex on the ground where he landed with full force on his right knee. And if this wasn't enough the angle seemed excruciating.

"The arsenal team doesn't have time to celebrate as Alex Oxlade- Chamberlain seems to be in a lot of pain. The doctor is coming and we'll hope for the best."

Alex couldn't contain his tears or screams. He felt like his knees were on fire and trying to leave the rest of his body at the same time. 

He couldn't remember the ride towards the hospital. He could faintly remember his dad telling him that everything would be okay, that he'd be okay.

Then he remembers his mom holding his hand after they had numbed the pain with drugs. The surgeon wasn't sure the surgery would be successful.

"60% chances that he'll have a full recovery. The chances to get back to professional football are slim at best."

"But there are 60% chances." His dad tried to rationalize. Mark Chamberlain the great football player, knew that football meant to his son as much as it meant to him.

"What other options does he have?" his mom asked.

No other options was the resume of the 10 minute rant the doctor gave. All in words too big for Alex to process at the minute.

The same week the surgery was scheduled. Only two days later to prevent the bones starting to produce healing tissue and deteriorate his condition. His room was full of bouquets of flowers and gifts. The biggest one was from Arsenal. Wishes for a speedy recovery. His friends had got him one too. And then he had half a dozen of fans' arsenal shirts with his name and number.

"I don't get how they thought giving you your shirt was a good idea." His best friend Matt commented when he came to visit.

"That's because you don't have fans, Matty boy." He said cheekily but he moved and winced in pain. Matt chose to not comment on neither the wince nor the kind of insult.