Chapter 62- A New Appointment

(June 24, 1994)

Hall slowly stands up from where he's been sitting. He's been part of a meeting with several Jedi, including Obi Wan, that has been going over the progress of the Outer Rim Sieges. Overall, with Terran assistance, they're going very well.

As he stands up, and the other Jedi begin walking out of the room, Anakin comes walking in.

"You missed the report on the Outer Rim Sieges," Obi Wan says.

"I'm sorry. I was held up. I have no excuse," Anakin says.

"I snort, they are going very well. Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity. The Siege of Mandalore is underway. And Colonel Stasevich and his men have recaptured Ossus," Obi Wan says.

Anakin smiles slightly, knowing who is one of the three people leading the Siege of Mandalore. Then, he asks Obi Wan, "What's wrong, then?"

Hall walks over to Anakin as he says, "The Senate is conducting a vote today to give Chancellor Palpatine more emergency powers, and it's expected to pass."

"Well, that can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad? It'll make it more easier to end this war," Anakin replies.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely, General Skywalker. Earth history is full of examples of rulers who gained absolute power and did horrible things with it. Adolf Hitler for example. He turned Germany into a dictatorship, conquered all of Europe and ruled with an iron fist, ordered inhumane things be done on some of his own people, and ordered horrible atrocities including the massacre of 6 million people across Europe and the torture and experimentation on many more simply because they were Jews," Hall says.

Obi Wan looks at Hall in surprise, never having heard some of this stuff that Hitler had done. Anakin, however, simply says, "The Chancellor is a good man. He could never do anything like what Hitler did."

Obi Wan narrows his eyes and says, "Be careful of your friend Palpatine."

"Why?" Anakin asks.

"He has requested your presence," Obi Wan says.

"What for?" Anakin asks.

"He didn't say," Obi Wan replies.

Anakin is quiet for a moment, then asks, "He didn't inform the Council? That's unusual, isn't it?"

"All of this is unusual. And it's making me feel uneasy," Obi Wan says.

"You and me both," Hall says.

(Hours later)

Adams sits down as the Jedi Council meeting gets underway. As leader of the ASAT team, he has been awarded the priviledge of being able to be present for Council meetings as the Terran liaison. Given he's currently on the Mandalorian moon Concordia, he's participating in the meeting via hologram.

Adams watches as Anakin presents Palpatine's request to the Council. Knowing the Anakin can't see him at the moment, Adams narrows his eyes slightly in suspicion.

"Allow this appointment lightly, the Council does not. Disturbing is this move by Chancellor Palpatine," Yoda says.

"I understand," Anakin says.

"You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master," Mace Windu says.

Anakin looks at Mace in shock before asking, "What? How can you do this? This is outrageous. It's unfair. How can you be on the Council and not be a Master?"