Chapter 28- Voyage of Temptation

In the bowels of the Coronet, Obi Wan, Anakin, and Colonel Peretz are standing before their men. The ships has just slipped out of Mandalore's atmosphere, and is making its way away from the planet to prepare its hyperspace jump. In the meantime, not wanting to take any chances with Satine's safety, the two Jedi and the Israeli are instructing their men on what to do.

"You know your marching orders. The safety of the Duchess Satine is of utmost importance. The Death Watch will stop at nothing to assassinate her before she pleads her case to the Senate," Obi Wan says.

"The Death Watch may be backed by the Separatists. So stay sharp. R2, use your scanners to probe for any suspicious droid activity," Anakin says.

"Anything else, sir?" Rex asks.

"No, that'll be all," Obi Wan says. The clones and Israeli commandos nods and begin separating to begin their patrols.

As they do, Obi Wan's commlink starts beeping. Obi Wan taps it and asks, "Yes?"

"The Duchess and her retinue request your presence," one of the ship's crew says over the commlink.

"Very well," Obi Wan says before he, Anakin, and Peretz make their way onto the elevator and start the ride up.

As the elevator makes its way up, Anakin says, "I sense some anxiety from you about the duchess. She couldn't be in safer hands."

"Yes, I know," Obi Wan says.

"Then why...?" Anakin starts to ask, but trails off.

"Never mind. It's all in the past," Obi Wan says.

"Oh, so you're close to her?" Anakin asks.

"I knew her. A long time ago," Obi Wan responds, a little defensively.

Up in the lounge, or throne room depending on your perspective, Satine, resting on a large couch, says to the Senators gathered, "War is intolerable! We have been deceived into thinking that we must be a part of it! I say the moment we committed to fighting, we already lost."

Senator Merrick, taking a drink from a passing droid, asks, "Excuse me, Your Grace. Are you suggesting that we oppose the war on humanitarian grounds?"

"I'm going to oppose it as an affront to life itself. As the designated regent of 1,500 systems, I speak for thousands of worlds that have urged me to allow them to remain neutral in this war," Satine says.

Right then, the doors into the room open, and Obi wan walks in while saying, "Yet some might argue that the strongest defense is a quick and decisive offense."

"You are quite the general now, aren't you Master Kenobi?" Satine asks rhetorically.

"Forgive me for interrupting, Your Highness. I meant no disrespect," Obi Wan says.

"Really?" Satine asks before addressing the Senators, "Senators, I presume you are acquainted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"Your Highness is too kind," Obi Wan answers a little awkwardly, making Peretz smirk a bit.

"You're right. I am," Satine says.

Clearly hoping to change the subject, Obi Wan says, "Allow me to introduce my fellow Jedi, Anakin Skywalker."

Anakin steps forward, bows, and says, "Your servant, My Lady."

"I remember a time when Jedi were not generals, but peacekeepers," Satine says.

"We are protectors, highness. Yours at the moment. We fight for peace," Anakin says.