47. I Shall Do Worse

Pairing: Freya/Rebekah (F/f) hand, hairbrush

Whitmore Boarding House

Mystic Falls, Virginia

September 1855

Hayley was eager to go to the mirror and see what the gifted necklace from Elijah looked like on her. It felt good around her neck, almost as if it had an aura of protection. Yet Elijah had just left and she was still sitting on the porch swing. She broke away from those thoughts and focused on the two teen girls standing in front of her. Harriet looked worried and guilty, Kathy looked defiant.

"I am not angry at you for eavesdropping," Hayley stated, realizing it was true. "Sometimes it tis in a woman's best interest to know what is going on around her, especially if she is excluded from having a say in it. But I would like to know what you heard."
Harriet wrung her hands nervously, she admitted, "I could not hear much. Just something about the men having a council and Mr. Salvatore being poorly..."

"It tis alright, Harriet. You go on to bed," Hayley smiled. "And remember you are not Mrs. Whitmore's servant anymore. I shall pitch in and help her more in the evenings. I want you to attend to your studies more. You look tired and worn. Right to bed, please."

"Yes, Miss," Harriet said, leaving the porch. "I have not been feeling like myself as of late."

"I suppose I am the one in trouble as usual," Kathy griped. "I heard everything but I did not understand it. Go ahead and thrash me. I know you want to."

"Kathy, that is not true. I meant to compliment you today on how you behaved around Elena and Damon. I know that was not easy for you," Hayley said, patting the empty space beside her.

Kathy nodded, "It twas not. I am certain that Elena Gilbert will be bearing Damon's babies whilst I become an old maid, stuck here with fat Mrs. Whitmore forever! Those Lockwood and Fell boys would not even look at me, a girl with no family name and nothing to bring to a marriage."

Kathy plopped down on the swing and Hayley looked at her in alarm. Did the girl not realize she was a vampire? Hayley long suspected that Emily Bennett had muddled with her former partner's mind. But to make her think she was human seemed especially cruel.

"Kathy, do you remember Emily? The one who you were companions with. I think you came here to Mystic Falls with her...," Hayley asked carefully.

"Ah, yes, I believe that name rings a bell, yet I cannot picture her face," Kathy said. Her face darkened, she went on, "When I try to remember, I feel odd, almost ill. And I never get ill," Kathy said, uncomfortably.

"Nay, you do have a good constitution. Do you remember your life before you came here? Where you were born?" Hayley prodded, wondering if she should pursue this, yet unable to stop.

"Of course I do!" Kathy said. Her eyes fluttered and she grabbed her head. "Yet I cannot speak it. I have dreams now. Awful dreams that my father took my baby girl. I never saw her again. Yet I never had a baby, or a father. How could I? I am a virgin, of course... She did something to me, did she not?"

"I believe so," Hayley confirmed.

Kathy paled and went on, "Then I have dreams that I am so thirsty. I wake up with blood on my lips as if I have the consumption, yet I do not feel sick. It tis Harriet who looks ill, not I."
She had wondered how Katherine was feeding, then it hit her like a rogue team of horses. Kathy was feeding off of Harriet, it was the only thing that made sense. She would speak to Elijah about it when she had the chance.

Mikaelson Estate

Rebekah and Elena's Room

Night