18. Spirit of Wine

Pairing: Elijah/Rebekah (M/F) hand, paddle

Chapter Text

"O thou invisible spirit of wine, if thou hast no name to be known by, let us call thee devil."

-William Shakespeare

Sunday, July 8, 1855

Dining Room

Dinner

"I hope you like salted ham," Finn said as he pulled out the chair for Sage in the large dining room. Elijah had given Finn a brief course in modern etiquette. Sade rewarded him with a smile as she brushed her hand against his.

"Of course, who does not love a Virginia ham?" Sage exclaimed appreciatively. The family would dine on the middle part of the ham and the servants would get the shoulders and fat back. Jennet, and her new staff, had also made gravy from lard and flour, sweet potatoes, squash, cabbage, and biscuits. They made several pies from a nearby orchard, as the estate did not yet have one of its own.

Stefan got up on his knees to reach for the biscuits. He shouted, "I like ham, but I am not eating that cabbage!"

Elijah reached over and gently sat him back down on his bottom. "Hold please. We have a guest. I am sure Niklaus would like to make a toast. And we shall pass the food to the left, young man." Stefan pouted and slumped down.

Rebekah spoke up, before Elijah could reprimand him to sit up, "He's tired and hungry, Elijah."

Elijah looked at the child again and saw that she was correct. "That he is. Well, let us hope that Niklaus' toast is short and sweet."

"'Brevity is the soul of wit,'" Klaus quoted, as he raised his wine glass.

"Polonius says that in Act 2, Scene 2 of Hamlet. See, I need not any further schooling," Kol shot out.

Marcel smirked, "You may know your Shakespeare, Kol, but you certainly could use some lessons in manners!"

Elijah agree, "And discipline. Continue, Niklaus. The children are famished."

"I am just parched," Damon said holding up his wine glass.

Klaus narrowed his eyes, "One glass, young man. I do not wish for you to catch yourself on fire trying to cast a spell tonight." Klaus could not help glancing at Kol.

Kol uttered, "You do something one time and no one bloody forgets it for centuries!"

Elijah cleared his throat and looked toward Stefan who was pushing out his bottom lip in frustration at the delay.

"Sorry, lad. Go on, Nik," Kol prompted.

"A toast tonight to our first guest, Miss Sage. May her visit be the first of many. We thank her for making our dear brother so happy. Another toast to Elijah, who has spearheaded the new school, where the lovely new teacher will hopefully instruct Kol how to behave himself. To everyone else for putting up with me and my long speeches. Salut!" Klaus said as he drank.

"Very nice," Sage said looking around the table. "Thank you for having me, everyone. It has been a long time since I have been at a family meal. I hope you all know how fortune smiles on all of you to have each other."

"We are very fortunate," Klaus said. He raised his glass to Kol to let him know he was just jesting about the new teacher. Kol smirked back and downed his wine.

Marcel and Rebekah were whispering to each other until Stefan needed help cutting his ham. Rebekah leaned over and helped him. She spooned some cabbage on his plate and told him to just try it.