38. Above Rubies

Pairing: Hayley/Kathy-Elena (F/ff) hand, paddle

"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life." -Proverbs 31:10-13

Mikaelson Estate

Mystic Falls, Virginia

August 1855

Next Day

Elijah and the others came home in the middle of the night. He could not help but warn Marcellus not to disturb Rebekah as she had school in the morning. Ilayda had sent Dragomir on a side mission to collect some rare herbs while the others rescued Sammy from the Bayou. They did not collect him until they had safely secured Emily and Solomon. Elijah asked Ilayda why as the others left the coach.

The old witch frowned and rubbed her wizened chin.

"Like you and your brothers, Dragomir and Sammy oft are at odds. It tis hard to go from brothers to...something else. Sammy does not like to take orders from his brother. I had to get Dragomir out of the way. Also, I fear I will need those herbs in the days to come. The witch Emily is not safe here. I have seen her death by fire...It cannot be prevented, only delayed," Ilayda warned.

Elijah grimaced, "But she only reunited with her son! Is it not cruel to separate them again so soon?"

"Aye, it tis cruel. As someone who sees the future at times, if I change any prophecy, it is dangerous for me. My people tell of those of my line who...tend to become something else. The witch should go but it is not my decision," Ilayda said. She turned her head to watch Dragomir and Sammy arguing at the front door. Elijah said he would deal with it. He asked Ilayda to take Emily and the boy inside. Solomon was sleepy and Emily looked worn, too. There would be plenty of room for them at the guest house. He thought Emily might be more comfortable with the witch and the wolves tonight.
Elijah walked up to them, it was late and they would wake the whole house.

"Is there a problem, gentlemen?" Elijah asked smoothly.

Dragomir gruntled, "No, my brother here is just being difficult as is his habit."

Sammy shrugged, "I do not see why we cannot go back to our other house. This is folly to reside with vampires. I wish to take my sisters and go home."

Elijah directed Dragomir to the guesthouse. "I will speak to your brother, if you will allow."

Dragomir picked up his and Ilayda's parcels and headed around to where Elijah had indicated. At least one brother was being sensible.

Sammy smirked at his brother's dismissal and looked at Elijah defiantly.

"Sammy, if I may call you that, I understand your hesitation. But we are all on the same side here. Your family helped mine with an important issue. This child, Solomon, is prophesied to be very important. I know you have been through a lot, but your brother is right. It is safer for you and your sisters here," Elijah explained.

Sammy nodded and his green eyes watered.

"I am sorry to cause a fuss. It is just when Dragomir speaks to me, it makes me want to argue with him. He thinks of me as a spoiled child and I cannot abide it. I know this whole mess is my fault. If I had not fallen for the girl, I never would have been hexed..." Sammy lamented.

Elijah put a hand on Sammy's forearm.

"We have all many mistakes. Your family will forgive you, if they have not already. Your brother only wants the best for you. Now, it tis late. The guest house is around the back. Would you like me to show you?" Elijah asked.