05. The Offer

Mile was on his third hot chocolate of the night, sitting in his patrol car, heater turned up. He was going over Tong’s idea in his head. He loved the idea, but only had a few reservations, like the Omega saying no. It he were to say yes, Mile would have to keep his feelings in check.

//All units we have a Request assistance , Crime in progress, Person with gun//

Mile, Car 137 on route, requesting address

//Mile, En route to—//

When Dispatch recited the address, Mile’s stomach dropped. That was just two blocks from Apo’s place in Pattaya area. He swirled the car around and hauled ass, lights flashing.

Dispatch was giving information as he went, all she could tell Mile and the other cops from the 911 call was that someone was trying to break down someone's door and they had a gun.

Mile had dealt with many idiots waving around guns, thinking because they owned one that they suddenly knew how to use it. He remembered one incident a few years back, he had been called to a 10-16. Domestic dispute.

When Mile and his partner Ping at the time had arrived, the guy had turned the gun on them. Mile had started to talk the man down, their purpose wasn’t to kill but to save and protect, but sometimes the thin line was a blur when your life was in danger.

The very intoxicated man had waved around his gun and ended up shooting himself in the foot and Mile had snorted, trying to keep from laughing while Ping had just shook his head at the sheer stupidity of the man.

The gunman lived, with a life long reminder not to play with guns.

Mile had told this story to Apo, had even acted it out and that had been when he first got the Omega to laugh, and his smile was all chubby cheeks and his half-moon eyes. Mile had made it a point after that to make him smile more.

He quickly reached the address Dispatch had given, finding two other police cars already there and in a stand off. Mile grabbed his gun and headed towards the closest Officer.

What’s going on?,”

We thought it was a break in but it looks like it's more then that,” Officer Wang turned to him.

Mile looked around and saw civilians on the sidewalk.

According to the neighbors, that apartment runs drugs in and out of it and this guy just showed up and blasted the gun off at the door. So far we know he shot two people but it's unclear if they’re still alive. He just started shooting at us about ten minutes ago.” Officer Wang went on.

Mile!,”

Mile looked up to find his supervisor Sergeant Chan. Replied the greeting with simple ‘Sir!,’ Mile carefully made his way over to him, staying low behind the patrol cars.

Take this bastard out, we don’t have time to wait for
SWAT, they are stuck from a traffic jam and there's kids
around here,

I need eyes on the target,” Mile said.

He quickly went back to his patrol car and opened the trunk when shots were fired. The Alpha hit the ground and looked in between the cars and saw the perp shooting two more shots at his colleagues and then grabbed a teenage girl and put the gun to her head.

Mile growled and caught his Sergeant looking at him, giving him the signal to take the guy out. The Alpha nodded and grabbed his Remington M24 case out and set it up.

You have a clear shot, you take it!,” Sergeant Chan barked.

“I need eyes on the target,” Mile said.

Mile’s instincts took over, everyone else disappeared, all sounds dissipated and his Alpha red eyes came through and amplified his vision.

Along with the scope, Mile had a direct shot. The man was yelling and in his movements, he shoved his hostage away from him while yelling and that was Mile’s window. He pulled the trigger and hit the perp right between the eyes.

It was over in seconds. The cops ran forward and quickly swamped the building.

Mile grabbed his radio calling in the events and asked for a coroner and an ambulance, unsure of the victims inside.

Sergeant Chan walked over to him as two other patrol cars pulled up and the sirens of the ambulance on its way sounded in the distance. The Alpha watched as his Supervisor’s eyes widened looking at his shoulder.

Good Job. Were you hit?,”

Mile looked at his arm and reached to touch it, his hand now stained with blood.

“It's just a graze, I’ll get it cleaned up later,”

A bullet came very close apparently, Mile didn’t even remember feeling it. The Sergeant glared at him and arched brown, telling him he didn’t believe him.

Get in there and see if there’s anyone else with a gun,”
Singer backed just as SWAT finally showed.

Yes sir,"

***