Chapter 22

"What the Shintaro!" I cursed as I raced to the kitchen. I started running the tap, cupping my hands under the steady flow. I let myself hold as much water as possible as it started filling up my hand-shaped cup. It put out the flames after about three minutes of nonstop water flow. I let the water splash out of my hands. I stared at my hands in horror as panic crushed my chest. This made it extremely hard to calm down not to mention sparking horrific thoughts that raced through my mind. I'm a monster! What if I was holding hands with my boyfriend and I burnt him?! I thought frantically as I tried putting that image out of my head.

No one should come near me. I don't want to hurt anyone, but everyone came into the kitchen. I looked to the group, still horrified at what had just happened. I only saw panic among my closest friends. I kept looking from my hands to my friends, not even sure as how my powers suddenly sparked up.

"What was that all about?" Jay demanded as Cole not - so - subtly elbowed him in the arm.

"I. . . I don't know." I stuttered cluelessly as Lloyd edged closer to me.

"You can tell us anything, Kai." Lloyd said softly as he tried to hold my hands.

I pulled them away from him and backed up several paces. "I don't want to hurt anyone. . ." I half whispered. They tried to comfort me but I kept a safe distance from them. "Just stay away, please?" I pleaded before grabbing a bowl and filled it up to the halfway point with water.

"We want to help." Cole said looking at me, his eyebrows creased with worry.

"Just don't come near me." I muttered as I turned off the tap. "I need to be alone for a bit. Try and clear my head." I picked up the bowl and raced to my room, trying to stop thoughts racing through my mind.

"Kai, wait. . ." Lloyd called but I was already gone. I won't go near anyone until I get my head organised. I told myself firmly as I placed the bowl on the floor, quickly opening the door. I placed the bowl next to the doorway inside my room as I shut the door.

I placed my back on the door and allowed myself to slide down and curled up into a ball. I crossed my arms over the top of my knees and buried my head in my arms. "How could I've let this happen?!" I mumbled to myself, sighing in disbelief that I'd ever be treated normal again. I just need some time. But will they understand? Will Lloyd understand? 

I tried to calm myself down but it's really hard when you have thoughts about hurting the people you care about and destroying everything you touch. I tried to remember a specific part of Nya's story. Especially what Ray said about my powers, though my mind just drew a blank. It surprised me how quick this day went from being crap to awesome to crap again.

I felt like I couldn't talk to anyone, so now I'm hiding.

Tears streamed down my face, I tried wiping them away but there was no point. I uncurled, letting my arms drop to my sides and rested my head on the door. My hands started tingling again. I looked at them and huffed impatiently. I reached for the bowl and placed my hands inside, letting the water engulf my hands long enough to stop the fire. "I have to control this. . . Somehow. I just have to conceal my emotions." I muttered as I knew what I meant. No love. No excitement. Nothing but solitude. I was busy trying to keep it together when there was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked as my voice cracked, wiping away most of my tears.

"It's me, Kai." Cole called through the wooden door. "Can I come in?"

I sighed. I didn't know how to answer. I just wanted to be left alone, but pushing everyone away for no reason. . . Especially my newly found boyfriend. My mind felt as it was being split into two different people from my indecisiveness.