Ray and Maya's Story

Many years ago in Ninjago. . . 

20 year-old Ray strolled onto the docks with a fishing rod in one hand and his tackle bag across his shoulders. He sat down on the edge of the platform, crossing his legs, as cast his rod out to sea and waited for a nibble. Although he was the master of fire, being near the ocean helped clear his mind whenever it was clouded. Though not many people knew that about him. Ray waited for about an hour when something spooked him. 

"You know that fishing is actually really bad for the fish?"

He turned to where the voice came from to find a beautiful woman swimming next to where he sat. Her hair was as dark as the nighttime sky and her eyes were a deep brown. She looked no older that Ray was. "What?" He asked as she hoisted herself up onto the platform. She wore a one piece swimsuit that was covered in starfish and shells. She also wore a golden conch shell pendant with a silver chain attached to the top of the shell. 

"Fishing is bad for the ocean-life." She repeated sarcastically slow as she sat down and dangled her legs over the edge and into the ocean. She turned to Ray and smiled at him. "What's your name?" She asked politely.

"My name's Ray..." Ray answered smiling back at her. "Do I get to know yours?"

"Maya... My name is Maya." She responded. 

"What were you doing in the ocean?" Ray asked looking and Maya suspiciously. 

She shrugged in response "What can I say, I love the ocean. It's like the only place I can go where it's just..."

"Peaceful." They said at the same time as they shared a smile.

They sat at the docks for what seemed like forever to them, just talking about each other. . . Until the sun began to set. "Look at that beautiful sunset. . . " Ray said, admiring the different colours that splashed across the sky. 

"Sunset?!" Maya cried looking at the setting sun in fear. "Crap! I've got to get going or my mother is going to kill me." She stood abruptly and waved goodbye to her new friend. "It was nice meeting you, Ray. I'll see you tomorrow." She said racing back to the path.

"Bye, Maya." Ray called as she sprinted away. He sighed hoping to see her again soon. Ray stood up and left to return home as well before it got dark. 

Maya stepped out from her hiding place and check to make sure the coast was clear before heading back down onto the platform. She looked behind her before leaping into the ocean, her necklace glowing as she shimmered back to her true form. She landed into the ocean without a massive splash that would draw too much attention. She looked at her tail, glad that she could swish it again, before swimming back to the palace as fast as she could.

She didn't need to deal with her mother's wrath, especially since this human was really kind to her. Unlike her mother, who is always saying to stay way from people because they destroy anything they  don't understand. She snuck into her room through the open window as silently as she could. The light turned on, revealing her mother standing in the doorway. Queen Celiea's black hair was tied back into a bun she wore a gold and silver dress that matched her golden seashell crown with a diamond resting in the centre.

"Maya! Where they hell have you been!" She swam over and hugged her daughter like she's the most important thing on the planet. "You could've been killed by those humans! You know your duties as princess of Atlantis and it doesn't involve mingling with humans!" She exclaimed letting go of Maya. 

"I know, mother!" Maya exasperated impatiently. "Don't worry, I didn't go near them this time I promise."

Celiea seemed to relax a little bit but her expression stayed the same, as solemn as stone.