Chapter 15

I crumpled to the floor, clutching my left side of my chest. My katanas were behind my opponent. Maya crouched by me. "I didn't want to do this. But you gave me no choice after my daughter decided to join your pesky group." She emphasised the word join like I kidnapped her. 

"She joined at her own free will." I shot back, wincing in pain. My chest exploded with pain as my head felt like someone had just shot an arrow through my head. My eyelids felt heavy but I didn't close them. 

"You're not going to live long enough to see me win in the end. My weapon's tip was covered in a combination of Vengestone and the poison of the deadliest fish in the ocean." She stood up and changed her target. She made her way to my friends. I tried to use my powers, hoping that she was bluffing about the sword being covered in liquid Vengestone. . .

Nothing!  Curse the Serpentine! I wanted to yell. I was helpless. Without being able to use my powers and poison running through my veins, I can't be of any use to the team. Instead of worrying, I kept my breathing as steady as it'd allow me. Panicking would only make the problem worse.

Zaaaap!!

 Maya got electrocuted so much by the end of it, her hair stood up on end. I looked to my friends and saw that they were joined by Jay, Zane and Ray. "Back away from our friend!" Jay yelled giving her another tase. Then Lloyd blasted her with energy, Zane froze the ground beneath her. Then everyone hit her at once making her skid and slide out of the door, which knocked her crown off in the process.

I tried to ignore the fact that everything seemed quiet apart from my breathing which was shaking. Lloyd and Cole both raced to my side. "You alright, Kai?" Lloyd asked as Cole moved my arm gently to see how badly I was injured and brought out a couple of bandages and some water to clean the wound. 

Lloyd peeked over Cole's shoulder and paled when he saw the wound. He locked eyes with me and I only saw fear. It can't be that bad, it was just a graze. I told myself but the way Lloyd's jade eyes shimmered with worry was scaring me. "I'll be okay. . ." I told Lloyd as I grunted from trying to readjust my position.

"We have to get him to the hospital." Cole said looking at the others solemnly. "It'd be quicker to get him there on our dragons."

"I'll take him." Nya said as she summoned her elemental dragon. 

"I'm coming with you." Lloyd said as Cole moved out of the way so Nya could try and hoist me up. "It'll be hard trying to keep a hold of your brother while you're flying."

"Alright. Help me get him up." She agreed as she crouched down and moved my left arm over her shoulders. I managed to adjust my legs so they were closer to my chest. Nya placed her hand on my back to steady me as she slowly helped me up. "Keep an eye on my mother, she can be a tricky one." Nya told the others. Lloyd pulled himself up onto the dragon, extending his hand. I gripped his hand with my right and pulled myself up in front of him. Everything felt like it was spinning, by this point. I nearly fell off the dragon if Lloyd hadn't grabbed my shoulder and steadied me.

"Come on, Nya." Lloyd called as Nya jumped on and got the dragon airborne. My vision started going and everything went black. . .

My eyes kept fluttering open and close and could hear snippets of different conversations, but nothing I heard made sense.

"He needs help. . ." I heard Lloyd say before it became vibrations again.

"We'll do what we can. . ." Someone else said then I blacked out again.

A couple of hours after the others got Kai to the hospital. . .

Lloyd and Nya sat in the waiting room, hoping that Kai would be alright. "It's my fault Kai got hurt in the first place." Lloyd muttered as looked at the door where they'd brought Kai in.

"It's not your fault, Lloyd. . ." Nya comforted.

"Yes it is!" Lloyd snapped. "If I had helped him fight your mother instead of him doing it alone. . ."

"Then you'd be in there with Kai. The doctors said they'd do what they can to help. We have to have faith that Kai will be alright. Kai is the most stubborn person in the entire world. There is no way that he'd give up without a fight." Nya responded calmly, silently praying that Kai would pull through.

The door clicked open. Nya and Lloyd turned their heads and saw the doctors leaving the room. One of them walked over to the Ninja. "Your friend will live, but he needs rest."

"Can we see him?" Lloyd asked as the doctor nodded. Nya and Lloyd walked over to the door. Lloyd went to push the door but hesitated. Kai's in there because of me. I can't believe I got him hurt! Lloyd, you son of an Oni! What were you thinking?! Lloyd scolded himself.

"What's wrong?" Nya asked Lloyd curiously.

"Nothing." He lied, pushing the door open and stepped inside. They walked over to Kai's bed, the doctors applied fresh bandages to his cut and there was a heart rate monitor to the right of the bed that beeped steadily. Guilt tugged at Lloyd's heart as those thoughts raced through his head. I should've helped him. Why didn't I? He thought to himself as Nya's phone rang.

"Hello?" Nya answered immediately. ". . .Jay slow down, you're not making sense. . . alright, we'll be there as soon as we can." She told Jay as she hung up.

"What's going on?" Lloyd looked at Nya tilting his head to the side.

"Apparently my mother's acting weird." She informed him. "She's saying that she had no control over what she was doing. We need to head back before the others fall for the trick. . . You coming?"

Lloyd looked back at Kai before answering. "You go on ahead. I'll be there in a bit."

"Alright." Nya said goodbye before heading out of the building and flew as fast as she could back to the monastery.

She arrived and dismounted her dragon swiftly before racing inside. "What's going on? I got Jay's call but it didn't make any sense." She asked as she sat at the table with everyone else including Maya, who was wearing handcuffs made from Vengestone to stop her from shape-shifting and trying to drown everyone. 

"As soon as you and Lloyd left with Kai, the queen got up and was very distressed." Zane informed.

"She keeps saying that she couldn't do anything about what was going on. Weird, right?" Jay added giving Maya a suspicious look.

"It's true!" Maya exclaimed suddenly. "I don't know how, but I couldn't control what was going on. It was like trying to fight a battle you can't win. I only seemed to regain control after the crown was off of me. You have to believe me!"

"Okay. So let's say I do believe you, how long has it been like this?" Nya questioned carefully.

"I... I don't know. About a week or so?" Maya admitted.

"Did anything seem unusual to you before this happened?" 

"Yes. As you know, my crown has a sapphire in its centre. Well, one morning it glowed brightly once I put it on, then I kept hearing this voice. So whenever someone would talk to me, that voice would answer but my mouth would act like it is talking."

"That sounds very skeptical." Cole admitted also looking very suspicious by this.

"That's not even the weirdest part." Maya said as everyone looked her way. "The voice sounded like my mother's!"