Chapter 17

I heard vibrations, like someone was talking to me underwater. After about a minute, the vibrations started forming into words. I could hear more than one person speaking at the same time, along with a beeping. "Are you sure you didn't fall asleep and dreamed that Kai tilted his head towards you?" Cole questioned, suspicion creeping into his voice.

"I'm telling the truth!" Lloyd snapped.

My eyes fluttered open slowly as they bickered among themselves. I groaned from the aching in my chest as everyone stopped mid-conversation and looked my way. I smiled weakly at my friends. My throat felt as rough as sandpaper and my mouth tasted like I'd been sucking on copper coins.

"Oh my gosh, you're alright!" Jay exclaimed as he walked to the other side of me, nearly squeezing me to death with a hug.

"We were all worried about you, Kai." Nya said as she smiled back at me.

"I'm alright, really. . . You can let go now, Jay." I told Jay who was still hugging me like crazy. My voice sounded weaker than normal.

"Sorry. . ." he said studying his shoes in embarrassment.

I tried to sit up but pain shot through my side, making me grimace. My arms buckled under my weight as I tried shifting into a more comfortable and upright position.

"Take it easy, Kai." Lloyd said as placed his hand on top of mine. "You're not fully recovered yet, the doctors managed to get the poison out of your system but it still has its after-effects." He spoke softly as I groaned in agony. Jay adjusted the bed so I could be sort of upright but still lying down. Then I had a realisation.

"How long have I been here?!" I asked looking at the others for answers. They said nothing, they were either thinking of a way to tell me of they didn't want to say anything. I turned to Lloyd, hoping he'd say something.

"Kai, you've been out for two days..."

"Two days?!" I exclaimed. I should've recovered a lot quicker than that! "Holy Serpentine! What the heck happened?" I demanded a little too forcefully than I meant to.

"Well, we managed to get some information out of Maya. But it's not important right now. . ." Nya told me firmly.

"What do you remember?" Lloyd asked me curiously.

I had to think for a while because I couldn't distinguish what was real and what wasn't. I had this vivid nightmare, although it felt very real. Some things I couldn't remember if they were originally from the weird dream or reality "I remember Lloyd saying that I needed help. . . then someone else saying they'd do what they can, but after that I don't know." I lied. It'd be weird saying that I heard Lloyd blaming himself for what happened in front of the others.

"Well, what you heard was after me and Lloyd arrived at the hospital. Are you sure that's all you heard?" Nya asked looking at me thoughtfully. She knew I was holding something back. 

"There was something else but it wouldn't make any sense to you guys..." I started but didn't know how to phrase it.

"I know what you mean." Lloyd looked at me like he somehow knew what I was referring to. "Let's see if we can get you something to eat or drink."

"I've got it covered. Jay, Cole, Zane could you come with me?" Nya asked as she pulled them out of the room.

"I had a really weird dream..." I started, unsure of how to explain as the door clicked shut.

"You were in an apocalyptic version of Ninjago." 

"How'd you...?"

"Nya gave me a cuff style bracelet that allowed me to see you in the dream realm." Lloyd informed.

"I tried to fight my mother but I failed. I retreated to a dark alleyway calling for help. Nothing happened. Then I heard you calling out, I put out the flame thinking it was a trap. Then you said that you were there to help, but I felt too responsible about what happened. . ." I told Lloyd feeling frustrated. 

"I know. I helped you get over that fear and got you out of there." Lloyd finished smiling at me. "I was really worried about you. It's my fault you got hurt in the first place." Lloyd looked away looking upset and guilty.

"You know I'm a lot stronger than I look. I pulled through, but you helped me do so." I said truthfully.

"No I didn't..." Lloyd looked up at me, his eyes filled with suspicion.

"Yeah, you did. You kept visiting and reminding me what I had to fight for." I insisted which seemed to lift his spirits. "Thanks, buddy."

Lloyd smiled before leaning closer as we kissed. Does this make me and Luh-loyd officially a thing. . . I thought laughing to myself the look on his face if I actually called him "Luh-loyd" as the kiss lasted for a few minutes before the door opened. Me and Lloyd separated quickly, no one knew about us. I had my suspicions that Nya knew considering she somehow manages to get the others away so Lloyd and I can be alone together. Now they all know mine and Lloyd's secret. I looked at my friends, they stared with a mix of shock and surprise.

"How long has this been a thing?!" Jay demanded harshly. I hung my head in shame for the second time in this book.

"A few days... after you guys rescued me." I admitted not meeting their eyes. Great. Now they think that I'm a weirdo and in love with one of my best friends.

"I wish you'd said something sooner." Cole said stepping forward. "We're your friends and we support you. Right, Jay?"

"Of course." He answered quietly. Although he said he'd be supportive but the way he said that sounded like another classic Kai trick. Betrayal. Maybe he was upset that we were keeping this a secret, like how Lloyd was when I mentioned hearing Nya's voice on Monday during training.

I looked up at them, Cole and Jay looked happy for me and Lloyd, I think Zane was also happy as well. Zane cleared his throat and said "The doctor said that they'd bring food in a minute, but they let us bring you in a glass of water." He walked over and handed me the glass.

"Thanks, Zane." I responded as my shaky hand took it from him. I raised it to my lips and nearly drained the glass. I dropped it accidentally, luckily Lloyd had good reflexes and caught it immediately. He put it on the table side next to me.

"Now will you tell me what happened after I got here?" I questioned as the others pulled out chairs and placed them around the bed.

"After we got you into the hospital, I got a call from Jay and he said that Maya was acting weird so I went to the monastery to see for myself. . ." Nya started.

"And the queen kept saying that there was this voice and she had no control over what she was doing. It sounded like she was possessed by her mother's spirit." Jay finished as one of the doctors walked in with a tray of food.

"Here. You're probably hungry." She said placing the tray in my lap.

"Thank you." I said as she left. I didn't feel hungry at the moment so I put it to one side. "Speaking of her, where is the queen?" I asked.

"Ray is keeping an eye on her. We told him that if she starts acting weird again to call us." Zane informed. 

"So the crown has Celiea's spirit trapped inside it, possessing Maya and made her attack us." I summed up as they nodded. "You guys should probably head back, but keep me in the loop. Just 'cause I can't leave the hospital at the moment, doesn't mean I'm useless." I told them as I searched for my phone. I finally found it on top of the table next to me.

"Will do, but get some rest. Hopefully they'll discharge you soon." Lloyd nodded as everyone filed out of the room one by one. As Lloyd left, he snuck a kiss on my forehead before racing off to join the others.