Chapter 2

My nightmare began something like this. . .

I found myself sitting on the edge of the docks, legs hanging above the water, staring out into the horizon. I heard that voice again, "KAI!!" It screamed. It was definitely a lot closer than before. I jumped up, hoping to find whoever it was, but something wrapped itself around my legs. Yanking me off balance, I plunged into the ocean, landing with a huge splash. I held my breath as I hit it over and over again, hoping that it would retreat and release me. Nothing worked. I even tried slicing the damn thing, but that didn't work either. It kept pulling me down deeper. Panic closed around my chest. I hadn't tried using my powers, but they wouldn't work anyways, I'm underwater. Would they? I snapped my fingers trying to ignite a spark. Sure enough, a small flame appeared in the palm of my hand. I threw it at whatever bound my legs. It let its grip go almost immediately and let out a high-pitched screech in pain. 

Frantically, I tried to swim to the surface, when this bubble engulfed me. I gasped for air. At least I can breathe again, I thought. I looked all around to see if there was a viable way out, I couldn't see nothing. That thing had dragged me farther down than I originally thought. I threw myself against the bubble - praying that it would burst - when something or someone swam towards my bubble prison. Their face was hidden in darkness, but the voice was the same one that screamed. "Kai. . .  Help me!" It called. "What?! Who are you" I demanded. Unfortunately before I got my answer, everything faded to black. . .

I sat up, gasping for air. It took me a minute to recognise that I was still in my bedroom. I tried to calm my nerves, that was insane. There's no way that I'm going back to sleep after such a vivid nightmare. I looked at my alarm clock. 02:00 in the morning. I relaxed a little bit. Everyone would be asleep by now, probably. Unless Cole was still gaming, which isn't likely. I need to stretch my legs.

I changed into my dark red t-shirt and black shorts with my custom made trainers. Black with flames up the back. I need space to think, somewhere that isn't my dark bedroom. I opened the window and crawled out onto the roof.  I shut it again from the outside. I'll be back before anyone knows I'm gone, I thought to myself as I raced across the roof. I reached the gate and leapt into the sky, landing safely on the other side.  I took one last look behind me before heading to the last place anyone would find me. 

About an hour later, I arrived at the lantern light docks. Although something told me that I shouldn't be here. Was it my stupid dream bothering me? I wasn't entirely sure. I walked onto the platform and found somewhere to sit down. What was my dream trying to tell me? I questioned myself. I sighed in disbelief that I'll ever find my answer. I looked over the horizon wondering whether this voice is an actual problem or some hallucination.

What brought me back to the here and now was seeing someone in the ocean. I think. I stood up to get a better look at them. Their face was half underwater so I only saw their eyes. They were light brown. As they say me look at them, they dipped back into the ocean. The next thing I knew, there was this huge splash as something leapt at me! I jumped back to avoid the downpour, but I ended up tripping up on a little step. I landed on my back with a thud, immediately sitting upright. My head swivelled back and forth to see if I could find them. Nothing. I sighed in disappointment. Maybe it was just an illusion? I thought as I slowly got to my feet. I looked back at the ocean, noticing that the sun was starting to rise. I need to head back before anyone wakes up! My brain thought as I raced back as fast as I could. 

I managed to creep back into my room without being caught by anyone. I threw off my shoes and shoved them in their box, changed back into pyjamas and curled up in bed, acting like I'd been there all night. I think I got a little bit of extra sleep before my alarm screeched at me. I shut it off, automatically looking at the time. 07:00 in the morning!? How long was I out for last night?! There was a knock at my door. "Who is it?" I asked impatiently. If anyone asks me about what happened yesterday, I'm gonna lose my temper. 

"It's me. . ." Cole said.

"Hang on a sec. . ." I called as I threw on my ninja uniform. I opened the door. 

"Hey, Cole."

"Hey, Kai."  Cole smiled. "Did you want to hang out today? I don't think anything big's going on today."

This is unusual. . . Usually there is something always going on around here. . . and why ask a 7 in the morning? Or I'm just over-thinking it like I did with my dream. I shrugged my shoulders "I guess so. . . maybe not right now though." I responded.

He laughed at my response, "Yeah, I guess it's still a little early. How about we head to the docks, at 5 tonight?"

"Okay?" I probably sounded skeptical by now but Cole didn't seem to notice. "We should probably get started with training and everything else that needs to be done today."

"Alright." He said as he moved out the way of the door.

I shuffled through the gap. Everything about that conversation felt off. For starters, he asked me if I want to hang out with him at the docks. The first half sounded like him, but he knows I don't like the ocean. Yeah, I know. Call me a hypocrite all you want for going there last night but something is definitely wrong. Not sure what though. . . 

The day dragged by as we did weapon's training, stopping robberies, the usual. After we got back, I pulled Jay to one side. If Jay noticed something strange was up with Cole, at least I know it isn't just me. "Is it just me, or is Cole acting weird?" I asked Jay.

"What are you talking about?" He questioned. With an impatient huff, I told Jay about the conversation earlier that day. He cocked his head to the side in curiosity.

"I mean, doesn't that sound a little strange to you?" I asked him.

"It does, but he's been normal all day and didn't mention anything about meeting up with you at the docks tonight. You would've thought he'd tell me about by now, right?" He said, thinking about what I'd told him. He's right, though! I thought. There has to be a way to prove what I said was right. 

"Wait, aren't there camera's in the hallways?" I asked curiously.

Jay nodded. "Yeah, why?"

"I think I've just found my proof." I declared triumphantly.