Chapter 13

My heart felt like it was being stripped of any positive feelings and leaving me with bitter and nasty thoughts about this guy. For one, if he was around, how comes I still ended up in a group home? And how would this guy even know where to find us anyways? I thought as we got the stranger into the main room and started asking questions, I had a few of my own for him. "How did you get here?" I asked as we sat around the table looking at the man who claims to be mine and Nya's father.

"I don't actually know." He said honestly. "I just remember waking up at the docks, hearing this feminine voice telling me to find a 'Kai' and a 'Nya'. It seemed to get louder as I got closer to here."

"Okay?" I said thinking something about that story. It sounded familiar to what I had experienced on Monday.

"What's your name? If we intend to help you, we have to know something about you first." Lloyd asked looking very skeptical.

"My name's Ray." The man introduce himself.

"Okay, Ray..." I looked at him curiously. "Do you know anything else about this voice? Or if it told you what to do after you find these people?" I asked careful not to reveal my name just yet. If he's under Maya's control, we have to find a way to stop her. I thought as Ray took some time before answering.

"It just said 'bring them to the docks, I'll handle everything else.' Whatever that means." He said as I looked at the others with a worried expression.

"We'll be back in a minute, Ray." I said as I grabbed Lloyd's arm and pulled him to one side, away from the others. Jay, Nya and Cole shot me curious looks and Zane kept his eyes locked on Ray, his human disguise on for the sake of our visitor.

"You okay, Kai?" He asked looking at me probably why I got him away from everyone.

"I think that he's under Maya's control." I told him bluntly.

"Who's Maya?" Lloyd asked.

"The mermaid queen!" I snapped at him.

 "What has she have to do with this?" He demanded. I told him about the voice that I heard during training a few days ago. He looked at me with a look of betrayal. We kept no secrets from each other, that was part of the agreement we made as a team when we all live under one roof. For Lloyd to see me break that promise must have hurt more than a wound any weapon can make. Trust is a wind that blows both ways. I thought as I hung my head in shame. "Why didn't you say anything about it?" Lloyd asked.

"I didn't want to worry anyone in case it was nothing." I told him impatiently, snapping upright as he looked from me to Ray and back. 

"We can't tell him that you and Nya are here." Lloyd said looking at me solemnly.

"What else are we supposed to do?" I exasperated as I looked at him with fear. "If that guy is my dad, we can't just send him to his doom with that witch! We have no clue what she does to those who fail her!" I argued as I didn't want to lose anyone else. I thought I lost my parents once, to have at least one come back into my life as a good guy. I was desperate not to lose him again.

"We'll think of something."

"Like what you guys did last time." I retorted as Lloyd looked hurt by what I'd just said. Me and my stupid mouth! I cursed. "I didn't mean it like that. . ."

"You little, spoilt mer - prince!" He snapped, glaring at me. His eyes shining with anger in a way I haven't seen since he'd been betrayed by Harumi. Trust me, you do not want to be near Lloyd when someone's ticked him off.

"I'm sorry, Lloyd." I tried apologising. The angry look in his eyes toned down a little but it was clear he had not forgiven me.

"At least we did something about instead of letting you drown." Lloyd hissed, pushing his index finger against the centre of my chest as he made his point.

I sighed as I tried to think of a way out of this mess. Both the one with my psycho mer-mother and the one with the love of my life. "We obviously know that Maya is more powerful in the ocean. So what if we could get her to come to us?" I suggested.

Before he could answer we heard Jay shout, "Guys, Ray's not looking too good!" We rushed back to find Ray with his hands to each side of his head, elbows on the table and his eyes screwed shut like he's trying to fight an invisible force. "He started acting like this not long after you and Lloyd left." Jay informed as I took very hesitant steps towards Ray.

"Ray?" I questioned as I got closer to him. "Are you. . . okay?"

"Get out... get out of my head..." Ray whispered.

 I could just about make out what he was mumbling, which sounded like that Maya was trying to take over Ray's mind and bring us to the docks herself! Ray gasped and his eyes opened again. "She's coming..." he stuttered looking at us with fear. "She's coming and she's ticked off." Ray said again, this time loud enough for everyone to hear.

                Under the ocean...

Maya and her small army were already near the docks. Her sapphire crystal glowed as she tried to maintain the link, which shattered as the crystal's glow sputtered out immediately.  "Damn it! If Ray's told those ninja what I'm doing, we're going to have a fight on our hands." She informed her troops as they got to the surface.

"We're ready for anything, Your Highness." A soldier said as he pulled himself towards the surface.

Once they were all surfaced they all switched their tails for legs and started the journey to the monastery. "I will be reunited with my grandchildren, even if I have to hurt every single human to do so!" Maya told herself as she ascended the path away from the ocean. 

It took a while for them to ascend the mountain but arrived at the gates nonetheless. They arrived at the monastery. Weapons at drawn and ready, they were prepared to storm the building and or die for their queen. They bashed the gates as a war was brewing. One that would not stop until Maya gets what she wants. . .